Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replace Filter Warning

I am a newbie on this forum so I will do my best here. I have a Carrier Infinity Series 15.0+ SEER 2 Speed Heat Pump with the variable speed air handler and the Infinity Control Programmable Thermostat. My issue is with the Air Filter warning message. It seems that every few hours, I will get a message saying the air filter needs to be replaced. The contractor installed a permanent filter, one of the blue open fiber style filters, and said that I should take it out and clean it every few months. He also stated not to use a high performance air filter because it would restrict the air flow. I have taken the filter out and cleaned it and have bought the cheap disposable filters to use in the interim. I still get this message constantly. Is there an airflow sensor adjustment that would eliminate this error? I believe the real problem is that my duct system does not have the capacity for this HVAC system, but I cannot afford to replace the duct system at this time.

The system works beautifully otherwise. It keeps the house cool and does not run constantly like the old system. It has been in place for about 1 year and have had no other problems with the unit. Thanks for any input.

CAll your contractor.

He can adjust the filter timer in the installer set-up.

sounds like thermostat programming is not set up correctly

Did he put a bigger unit in, then what you had before.

Do you get the warning in both first and second stage, or just second stage.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Replace Filter Warning

In response to the thermostat questions, the thermostat has been setup to warn me every 3 months. I have checked that setting and it is correct. That does not explain why it tells me every few hours.

In response to the question concerning the size of the unit, it is a larger unit than was originally installed. The original unit was a 1 1/2 ton unit, this unit is a 2 ton.

Guess what?? YOu probably should have bit the bullet and put in the ductwork too!!! The high static pressure at the return is probably causing the fault.

Call your contractor to check the ductwork!!

Part of the problem may be hat your duct work was only big enough for 500 CFM instead of the 600 CFM your 1.5 ton wanted.

Now that your 2 ton wants to move 800 CFM through your 500 CFM duct, and the coil is a little dirty. The static pressure is too high.
    Contractor locator map

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by mayorc View Post
    In response to the thermostat questions, the thermostat has been setup to warn me every 3 months. I have checked that setting and it is correct. That does not explain why it tells me every few hours.

In response to the question concerning the size of the unit, it is a larger unit than was originally installed. The original unit was a 1 1/2 ton unit, this unit is a 2 ton.
    Going with the two ton contributed to the filter alert issue,which is almost certainly an undersized duct issue,however they may have been undersized for 1.5 tons also.Infinity is a big "tattletale" other Carrier models and many other brands ,you could have the same issue and never know it,other than equipment failures and the electric bill being higher then need be.

There are many things that can be done to reduce the static,without changing out the duct system.

1.Elbows and fittings near the equipment could have vanes added or be modified.

2.Another return could be added.

3.Parallel return and supply trunks could be installed.

4.If it's not already ,it could be set for 350 cfms per ton,instead of 400.

They need to check the static of the supply and return separately to see which is worse,as one may be the culprit.Not holding the advanced button down,to get the static for the Infinity Control,as that is the combined total of supply and return,and they need to know each one.

If you can post all model numbers and pics of the indoor unit with attached ducts ,we may see some obvious issues.

If you contractor can't test the static,ask the to involve the Carrier Rep,to get this resolvled,it's not good for the equipment and it's is increasing the operating cost a little.

Infinity Date Code or Serial Number

You may have got an older controller, if it is not a ductwork related (static pressure) problem.

The new controllers have a selection for filter change.....static pressure or time

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by michael013 View Post
    You may have got an older controller, if it is not a ductwork related (static pressure) problem.

The new controllers have a selection for filter change.....static pressure or time
    Yes ,you turn off the static pressure filter warning,and leave the high static issues to take their toll on your new equipment and electric bill,however I won't advise doing that.better to solve the duct issues Now.

Its better to cure the problem.
    Then to cover up the symptom.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for the great replies guys. I have some things to look into now and I know where to look.

Thanks for the great replies guys. I have some things to look into now and I know whe

Did you not get a 10 year Parts & Labor Warranty?

The ductwork will not be covered, but the contractor might check it for you.

We saw quite a few "filter error" defects in the original INFINITY Controllers. NOT due to the static pressure.

The Infinity controller has a standard 5 year warranty in our Carrier Division.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast