Package Unit Advice Needed - Buying Decision w/in 48 Hours

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any replies. I live in Los Angeles (Studio City area)which is located in the San Fernando Valley right behind the Hollywood sign. Anyway, it gets pretty hot here (90+) and our old package unit on the roof died. It was nearly 30 years old and not worth repairing. I have competitive quotes from two trusted HVAC guys. One guy uses Trane the other uses York (R-22 freon) or Lennox (R-410A freon, $150 more) Package Units (gas heat, electic a/c, I think). All three have 5 year warranties. Oh yeah, it is for a 5 ton 13 SEER - My home is one level and about 2,200 sq. ft.

Does anyone have advice as to which one to choose? All seem to have the same reviews on the web. Is there one I should stay away from? Once again, both service guys are good and come highly recommended. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am making a buying decision within the next 48 hours. Thanks again for your time in answering!
    Last edited by StudioCityCa; 08-07-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: more specificity

I wouldn't have a problem with either brand--they're all similar in many respects. Did you ask the York guy about R-410A options? What actual model numbers are you looking at? That will tell more specific information about things such as blower type (variable speed or not). Which contractor did a load calculation to confirm that 5 tons was the correct size? Which looked at the ductwork in the attic (presumably) to make sure it was adequate?

Thanks Ryan, I made a mistake in my original posting. The first guy uses Trane not Lennox. The second guy uses Lennox and York. Any comments on Trane. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I didn't get the actual model numbers. But, I will ask. Is one type of blower better? I assume variable is better. What other things should I be asking the contractor? As far as load calculation, both guys said 5 ton and the old one is 5 ton. Both went up in attic to look at ductwork. But, I think calculation was probably done based on experience. Are you thinking 5 ton is too big? It gets pretty hot here.Thanks again Ryan.

Hard to say if 5 tons is too big definitely without a load calculation. Did the old 5 ton dehumidify adequately and cool well? Same thing I said about brand applies to Trane, too. Trane, Lennox, and York are all fine brands and are popular with RTU's. Model numbers are important to have in the contract and to compare the units more accurately. A variable-speed blower would be a good thing to have to comfort and efficiency. Also, ask about York R410A. I assume you're equally comfortable with both companies?

Is the unit going on the roof?
    Did your old unit have long run times during your hot days.

If yes to both of the above.
    R22 may be teh better choise.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Is the unit going on the roof?
    Did your old unit have long run times during your hot days.

If yes to both of the above.
    R22 may be teh better choise.
    Just curious as to why?

Thanks again. Looks like "been there" already answered my next question about going with R22 or R410A. The unit is on the roof and I think has long run times. I am not sure, but I think so b/c it often gets up to 100 and 90 degrees quite often. There is very little humidity where we live. It goes for months without rain. So, I am not sure if the old one dehumidified well. It only cooled so-so. Glad to be getting a new one. The Trane I was quoted is the XB13, 13SEER, 11EER, 80% AFUE, 60,000 BTU cooling and CFM of 2200. I have no idea what those mean, so I am not sure how to compare units. Any advice on what to look for as minimums/maximums with these numbers. Also, do you have a recommendation as to R22 vs. R410A. I feel like I should be paying you for this advice. If I am ever in Maryland, I will buy you a beer.

Thanks BeenThere. Yup. On the roof and it gets pretty hot where I live so I think the run times are long. I guess it depends on how long is long. Thanks again. By the way, I like your quote on fixing. -Rob

R410A has more of a performance drop off in extreme hot temps.
    Many rooves get a lot hotter then the outdoor temp is.

Rooves with parapits tend to have poor air movement, and can let soem of teh condenser air recirc, simulating high ambient temps, when its 90 outside.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by StudioCityCa View Post
    Thanks again. Looks like "been there" already answered my next question about going with R22 or R410A. The unit is on the roof and I think has long run times. I am not sure, but I think so b/c it often gets up to 100 and 90 degrees quite often. There is very little humidity where we live. It goes for months without rain. So, I am not sure if the old one dehumidified well. It only cooled so-so. Glad to be getting a new one. The Trane I was quoted is the XB13, 13SEER, 11EER, 80% AFUE, 60,000 BTU cooling and CFM of 2200. I have no idea what those mean, so I am not sure how to compare units. Any advice on what to look for as minimums/maximums with these numbers. Also, do you have a recommendation as to R22 vs. R410A. I feel like I should be paying you for this advice. If I am ever in Maryland, I will buy you a beer.
    The XB13 has basic ratings as far as SEER/EER go. The higher, the better. The XB13c comes in R-410A and R-22. Not a variable-speed blower. The XL14c has a variable-speed blower and 2-stage heat. Another point of comparison is the warranty that the unit carries. The XB13c has a basic warranty--10 years on the HX and 5 years on all other parts. You can find all of the data on Trane's package units on their website.

And thanks for the explanation beenthere.

My recommendation would be a 2 stage heat/cool r-22 16 seer

Quote Originally Posted by dagreene View Post

My recommendation would be a 2 stage heat/cool r-22 16 seer
    Trane doesn't offer one to my knowledge (R-22 16 SEER gas/electric).

Your right it would have to 410a and that's rated for 15 seer.