Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Solution:
    Do not service accounts without maintenance contract.

Or:
    You get to replace more compressors.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Quote Originally Posted by letsmakesense View Post
    It is my understanding (field rep. united refrigeration) that the residue is a sodium based chemical solidified from a high heat condition.It collects in the condenser and there is no known remedy. I too am plagued with this affliction.
    barry
    I believe letsmakesense is right. I had a "compressor rep" tell me the same thing when discussing the issues we have seen with small POE/ cap tube systems. We are at the point that we steer clear or recommend replacing the entire unit when we see a plugged cap simply because the original cause of the oil breakdown (dirty condenser coil/ bad fan) has surely damaged the compressor and then add on top of that a plugged cap - bad news. When describing the problem to our customers I use the analogy of hardening of the arteries (plugged cap) which then leads to heart failure (compressor).
    If a customer really wants to go down the repair road, bare minimum is a new compressor, cap, AND replace the worthless spun copper drier for a larger filter/dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    That almost sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't that just make the condenser get dirtier, and in turn make the cap tube plug up again sooner?

I am thinking of a typical customer here that does no maintenance and only calls when it quits working. For someone who gets regular maintenance, it sounds like a good plan.
    I had nothing to loose when I tried this. Customer was turning off the ac at night and could smoke a compressor in 30 days. They have not lost one compressor since and still do not run the air at night. Yes the coils get dirty faster.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_tech_llc View Post
    If a customer really wants to go down the repair road, bare minimum is a new compressor, cap, AND replace the worthless spun copper drier for a larger filter/dryer.
    Be careful when changing to a larger filter drier. If the drier is too big, the liquid will flash away and then you will be trying to push gas through your cap-tube. It won't work right. I agree with getting rid of the spun copper thing and going with a real filter-drier, but use a tiny one instead of a big one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234