Advice on Trane vs Carrier Proposals

I have had multiple estimates and narrowed it down to 2- one is Carrier and the other is Trane. I got a 3rd Carrier estimate and it was in-line with the company I am considering.

Both reps did a load calc, were personable, spent 90 minutes talking with me in detail about options/education, etc. Both companies have also been used by neighbors. Here are the proposals:

TRANE:
    XV95 Furnace
    16 SEER A/C or Hybrid option
    Whole house humidifer (not sure type)
    Honeywell touchscreen t-stat

CARRIER:
    Infinity ICS furnace
    Performance 15 A/C or Hybrid Heat option
    Performance Humidifer
    Infinity t-stat

Both will have standard media filters so I removed that cost in my comparison. Apples-to-apples the Trane is still 8-9% higher (still have yet to renegotiate with the rep to bring this down.)

I will probably do Hybrid heat either way since we will be in the house at least 5 years which will exceed the 3-year break even that both reps indicated. To further reduce my total cost, I will probably drop down a level away from the 16 SEER (to equiv of a 13).

Any advice between the two units? Not sure if one is more reliable long-term or any comfort difference between them? Also is one better if I go the A/C route, but another better if Hybrid? Do you agree Hybrid Heat would be a no-brainer if I am here in teh house for 5+ years (I am in PECO land for utilities.)

Thanks!!

I don't suggest you drop down from the Performance heat pump or air conditioner if you go Carrier since the Performance and Infinity are the only series from Carrier that can interface with the Infinity system. You're comparing two nice systems. What coils are being used for each system? If you go Carrier, go with the tin-plated copper coil.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I don't suggest you drop down from the Performance heat pump or air conditioner if you go Carrier since the Performance and Infinity are the only series from Carrier that can interface with the Infinity system. You're comparing two nice systems. What coils are being used for each system? If you go Carrier, go with the tin-plated copper coil.
    Infinty works with the 13 SEER Comfort Series,no outdoor unit diagnostics.

I' go high SEER today,as I think it will be more of an issue in resale,then it has been ,in the near future,with utility increases.

Tin Plated coil ,Yes.

Carrier Infinity Control is tops,IMHO.
    Last edited by dash; 08-06-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Infinty works with the 13 SEER Comfort Series,no outdoor unit diagnostics.

I' go high SEER today,as I think it will be more of an issue in resale,then it has been ,in the near future,with utility increases.

Tin Plated coil ,Yes.
    You're right. I should have been more clear. I think that if you go with the Infinity control and furnace, at least get the Performance outdoor unit to get the most out of the system.

Philly, I think the Infinity control/system of the Carrier quote stands out more over Trane's system. The Carrier ICS is 3 stage. I don't think either would be a bad system.

If I go with Carrier....
    The real question is what difference will I feel as a homeowner (comfort and dollars) if I went with a 13 SEER Comfort series and did not have the full diagnostic hookup with the Infinity control (as I would with Performance 15)? In other words, is it worth paying 16% more just to jump up to the Perf 15? Seems like a steep jump to me...

If it is not all connected, then is the Trane a better choice, or still Carrier?

In my part of PA ,the INFINITY really makes the homes VERY even,PECO rate freeze is off in 2010 and the are gunning for 30% to 50% increase. Put in the CARRIER and do not look back.We sell TRANE but the INFINITY beats it hands down. From what part of EAGLE'S county do you hail?
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!