Cellulose - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cellulose

>>Kenny - So if i understand you correctly - I should not spray loose fill cellulose in my attic floor?

>>what do you recommend or what are the other options

Is your location in NY a hot-humid climate? Do you have any info on what your dewpoint is likely to be? I am not a pro but have difficulty seeing any condensation potential if NY is as cool and dry as I think it is. FWIW my brother lives in upstate NY.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Quote Originally Posted by kenny mac View Post
    You have to Loose Fill or Condition the Attic.... (Foam Roof)

One huge impact on EE.. that we do is to foam all the penetrations and gaps of the attic floor before you loose fill...
    It is amazing the infiltration from the top plates in the attic in to the interior wall acvities...

The absolute best approach any where is to "Condition The Attic"... its expensive.... longer payback.. but !!

You gain at least 30% efficiency of the ducts and air handler being within...
    The Latent load is reduced drastically...
    You have eliminated tons of nasty stuff entering your home...
    My opinion you have reduced fire potential from a vented attic
    Thanks kenny - One last question on this. Can I loose fill and then put down flooring or do i need to loose fill above the joists and leave open?

I would like to finish it to a level where i can use it for usual type storage as much as possible

I considered finishing the Attic - however My project at this time is big enough. I will be however air sealing all of the penetrations between living space and attic - including around the Attic door!

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    Thanks kenny - One last question on this. Can I loose fill and then put down flooring or do i need to loose fill above the joists and leave open?

I would like to finish it to a level where i can use it for usual type storage as much as possible

I considered finishing the Attic - however My project at this time is big enough. I will be however air sealing all of the penetrations between living space and attic - including around the Attic door!

thanks again
    If can budget foaming the roof now than do so.... it will pay you back monthly as far as energy savings.... then when you do decide to finish the attic area your done......

If your going to deck the floor and you are thinking finishing later... you may have some winter vapor trapping... if you use a floor decking like Advantech... I am sure it has a low permeability.... and that could be trouble this winter......

Another issue you will have is thermal bridging thur the decking/ attic floor joist.... wood is only 1-R per inch so if it were a 2x8... you would only have an R-8 at each joist surround by R-30

I am only thinking about decking it to use it as storage - I do not have the height for to finish it as livable space.

Elavate the floor

Elevate the floor with some high density foam strips on top of joist... check with your builder or code guy about the decking

Quote Originally Posted by kenny mac View Post
    Elevate the floor with some high density foam strips on top of joist... check with your builder or code guy about the decking
    This makes sense.

Thanks for all your advice - appreciate it!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123