Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My company does not do maintenance checks on the air conditioning systems until the weather gets warm enough for the homeowners to run their systems for a few days. How can you perform a maintenance check on a system when the weather is not warm enough to perform the check properly. Challenge the service call and the maintenance charge.

There is a lot of information that goes into a heat load calculation.

Although its not a method that I like. Many companies will simply look at the old unit. Then ask you if it cooled ok. And were you comfortable when it was working.
    If you say yes to both questions they go with the size that is there.

They cut a corner. It doesn't mean they will cut other corners.
    There are companies out there that do very good work, but don't do load calcs.

So no, I won't say stay away from them because they didn't do a load calc. But get a performance warranty from them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by accutrol View Post
    My company does not do maintenance checks on the air conditioning systems until the weather gets warm enough for the homeowners to run their systems for a few days. How can you perform a maintenance check on a system when the weather is not warm enough to perform the check properly. Challenge the service call and the maintenance charge.
    And why is 60 or 65°F outdoor temp not warm enough to do a check.
    Contractor locator map

The copy I work for starts PM checks in april 50 to 60 outside. The service charge cost should be applied to new equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Therm76 View Post
    The copy I work for starts PM checks in april 50 to 60 outside. The service charge cost should be applied to new equipment.
    If you own the company that this gentleman uses, then you can decide that.
    Contractor locator map

Other than this one issue are you happy with the company?
    If I go out do a leak search, top it off,plus service call and blah blah blah.If the unit is old and would be better for the home owner I suggest replacement.I will go ahead and call the salesman and give my cell phone # to the customer and tell them I can hold the bill for a week and let them decide or to get other quotes.If they decide to replace with us the bill never makes it to the office.Yes bossman knows about it.I would much rather fix a unit than replace if at all posible.

As for as a load calc. we go out and give the customer a price on a change out on "existing tonnage basis" and if they decide to go with us, then we will if the customer requests come back and do a load calc. which the price could be cheaper, "if" we find the home could get by with less tonnage. This is the best system IMO and it saves both the customer and us a lot of possibly wasted time.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

kind of hard to get an accurate reading on the freon level. You are under a "low load" condition. To beenthere

Yes, its a low load condition.
    But the readings will still be accurate.
    And my SH, and SC will still be usable to determine if its charged right. And operating right.

Work on some systems for computer rooms that need A/C 365. And you find that at 10°F and lower, you can still check and make sure the A/C is working properly.

Yea, its easier when it 80°F outside, and 75°F drybulb, and 62°F wetbulb.
    But not required.
    Contractor locator map

My company does cold weather pm's. If the unit has a history of leaking, than we wait until its warmer out. If you happen to find one that has a history of leaking, or its a new customer and they say "ya, we have had to add some juice in the past" then we do the pm, and make a free stop during warmer weather for just a refrigerant check. Of course, if we find that unit low, the charge is the same as if we were there doing the pm. We eat a bit of the cost for the trip but it keeps good customer relations. If your stuff is that old, and I was in your house, I would wave the diag fee and just charge you r22. As posted above, Id do a free leak search to at least quote you repairs and put the ball in your hands.

Nothing wrong with getting estimates. But before you make your decision, remember that who you purchase your system from, they should also be your company doing the pm's on the new stuff. I wouldn't buy from another guy, and then call the original company out for the pm's.

and make sure you compare APPLES to APPLES. My company quotes quality name brands. We cost more for a reason. We show pictures of our installs, and have a checklist of whats included in the install. We'll loose a job for a few dollars less to a hack artist. (see the wall of shame here at hvactalk)
    Work sucks, lets go skydive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12