Thread: Help with a problamatic Trane-immediately trips breaker

Post Likes

Help with a problamatic Trane-immediately trips breaker

I have an 8yr old Trane TTB042D100A 3 1/2 ton outdoor unit that suddenly died and will trip the breaker INSTANTLY when it starts. No hum or anything. Was working perfectly before. Wiring, low voltage, etc, checks ok.

The GE cap looks good and specs out 5/40uf.

There are no shorts to the case or lines from the terminals, but the compressor windings measure around 1 ohm or .2 ohms depending on which terminals you measure. Seems low, but I don't know the spec.

This is the tricky part, usually there is a short to the case that would cause the trip. That is why I still have hope.

Do you think a start kit can help this or its time for a new compressor? One tech said if it kills the breaker instantly its finished. Is it possible for a cap to spec out and cause this issue?

There may have been surges cause other electronic things were ruined around that time, but the A/C could be coincidental.

Post Likes
    What the hell???

Call a pro....and not the one that diagnosed your unit over the phone.

This is not a DIY site. Get a professional to look at your problem.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    A hard start kit won't help it.

Its done for.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A hard start kit won't help it.

Its done for.
    Thanks for making my point

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Thanks for making my point
    LOL...

Posted at the ame time.

Hey, you had fun with that other guy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    LOL...

Posted at the ame time.

Hey, you had fun with that other guy.
    which one???

Mr been doin this 15 years and still can't diagnose a TXV??? Had fun for a few posts......then just went off into nowhere with it. Its was fun. Till Bob ruined it for us

Post Likes
    which one???

Mr been doin this 15 years and still can't diagnose a TXV??? Had fun for a few posts......then just went off into nowhere with it. Its was fun. Till Bob ruined it for us
    It went some where just don't know where.

Post Likes
    which one???

LOL..
    Yea, that one.

Can't believe I missed out on it. 6 pages in 2 hours.
    It was closed by the time I got home.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    It went some where just don't know where.
    exactly

Post Likes
    What the hell???

Call a pro....and not the one that diagnosed your unit over the phone.

This is not a DIY site. Get a professional to look at your problem.
    Well I apologize then, the "rules" say homeowners can post:

1. Who Is Welcome Here?

Anyone in the HVAC industry and home or building owners with HVAC/R concerns and other polite and fun people that are willing to contribute.

I had 2 "pros" come with two different opinions, One said its toast, the other said get a start kit. So I have an engineering background and I'm trying to figure out what is best to do.

I was thinking somehow the motor is sized and the SK capacitor can give it the extra phase shift to get it started, but then again considering other electrical devices in the house failed I bet it is toasted.

Post Likes
    OP will be mad in a min.

Post Likes
    get a new pro......

an engineering backround doesn't give you the knowledge needed to accurately diagnose the problem....

but heres a bite of info to chew on....if it trips the breaker, then there are 1 or 2 things occuring. Its its not 1 then its the other. both have totally different solutions to the problem. But the problem is only 1.

I can't go any further. If the tech said you needed at start kit....why didn't he install one to see??? sounds like a load of crap to me.

But hey, what could I possibly know??? I'm only a service technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lhabc View Post
    Well I apologize then, the "rules" say homeowners can post:

1. Who Is Welcome Here?

Anyone in the HVAC industry and home or building owners with HVAC/R concerns and other polite and fun people that are willing to contribute.

I had 2 "pros" come with two different opinions, One said its toast, the other said get a start kit. So I have an engineering background and I'm trying to figure out what is best to do.

I was thinking somehow the motor is sized and the SK capacitor can give it the extra phase shift to get it started, but then again considering other electrical devices in the house failed I bet it is toasted.

They sure do......but they also say this.......

1. Who Is Welcome Here?

Feel free to ask any question relating to HVAC, or other topics of general interest except DIY.

At the same time, be polite and respectful in your answers. We welcome questions so please don't be critical of someone's question, or other member's answers.

Any reply that we feel violates this rule will be edited or deleted.

All members must treat other members with respect. Anyone who posts defamatory, insulting or otherwise disrespectful comments towards others in the HVAC industry will find their posts deleted and possibly their posting privileges suspended or revoked.

Any member that becomes belligerent, argumentative, posts smart-ass comments or requires too much attention of the moderators will lose their posting privileges.

Note that while all are welcome, our primary interest is in serving the HVAC Pro.

HVAC Pros, please note; home owners are welcome to ask questions here, if you do not wish to be helpful that is fine but do not intimidate, obstruct or criticize those that wish to be more helpful than you. If you do not like a particular thread or topic, do not reply.

2. Do-It-Yourselfers - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment, that is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted.

3. Home Owners - no pricing questions please

Only people who actually see your job can price it. Also, this is a site to promote the learning of HVAC technical knowledge and as such, questions of the type "$5,000 for a XXX system, is this a good price?" do not fit in with the theme of the site. Home owners, do NOT post prices.

Posts of this type will be deleted.

4. Advertising of Web Sites and Products

Advertising of web-sites and products is not accepted on this site - so don't do it. It will be deleted. If you would like to purchase advertising space, please contact HVAC.Talk@gmail.com

5. Posting is a Privilege

Please note, you are a guest on a privately owned site. Posting here is a privilege that we hope you will enjoy and respect. The moderators can and will remove the posting privileges of any person who does not wish to follow the rules, or in the opinion of the moderators is a detriment to the site.

6. No Swearing

This is a public site, not a locker room, swearing or near swearing will cause your post to be deleted.

7. Do NOT fight with the Moderators

This is a busy site. It is a big job to keep it running smoothly. If your post or thread "disappears", live with it, we do not have time nor do we need to send you an explanation. If you receive an e-mail asking you to stop doing something or change something, just do it. We do not have time to enter into a discussion with you. If you become a nuisance, you will lose your posting privileges.

8. One Registration Only

As the board gets larger, it becomes more important that each member has only one registration name. Any member who signs up under a new name will be banned from the site. If you feel you have to re-register with a new name due to a technical problem, be sure to get it okayed by the Site Admin first.

9. No E-mail addresses or Spam

Please do not include your e-mail address in your posts or signature file. There are automatic programs called "bots" that will tear through all of our posts if there are e-mail addresses. They gather them for the spammers, but, like the spammers, they have no consideration and can overload our server making it unavailable to legitimate users. Posting Spam or contact information in your signature file is also prohibited. Contact info and e-mail addresses may be posted in your Bio area.

10. Do not double post or bump

Choose the correct category or section for your thread and put it in only one category. Also, if your thread has not received any new posts lately it will slide down the list, so be it. Do not post a reply just to bump it up the list.

11. Recruiters - not for free

Post only in the "Jobs" section by clicking on the tab found above. There is a cost associated with posting a job. To inquire, click on the "Advertising" link at the top of our page.

12. Spread the word!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lhabc View Post
    So I have an engineering background
    yea, so

what you come up with

i say find a better technician. in less than 5 minutes i can tell you whats wrong with it and it sure isn't a start kit

although depending on what made it fail and exactly what failed a start kit may be needed...
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    How high of an OHM scale do you have on your meter? If you know what megaohms are you'll figure it out, if not call a qualified person, preferably in the HVAC industry.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in