Post Likes

Confused CO Exhaust levels York Affinity YP9C

Smelled gas at outside vent. Called local utility. Measured 200 PPM at exhaust pipe. No leaks of gas or CO inside. Gas shut off at furnace (CYA by utility) Contacted Home Warranty provider, they came out, declared everything fine. Furnace occasionally will not ignite (7 red blinks) If I remove lover panel and press cut off switch, that seems to "jump start" the ignition. Is 200PPG normal?

Post Likes
    I'd suggest getting a tech with a combustion analyzer out and see what they get. It reads more than just CO. 200 is high, normally I'd say closer to 10-20 PPM in the flue of a good burning furnace. I think the recommendation from AGA is shut down at 400 PPM air free, a reading the analyzer takes.

3. Likes ksefan liked this post
    Post Likes
    Home warranty providers are know-nothing jerks. Get a tech who has been trained by National Comfort Institute for combustion analysis. Check their website to find one near you.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

5. Likes HeatenCoolair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanCory View Post
    Smelled gas at outside vent. Called local utility. Measured 200 PPM at exhaust pipe. No leaks of gas or CO inside. Gas shut off at furnace (CYA by utility) Contacted Home Warranty provider, they came out, declared everything fine. Furnace occasionally will not ignite (7 red blinks) If I remove lover panel and press cut off switch, that seems to "jump start" the ignition. Is 200PPG normal?
    Home Warranty company is lower then low.

Get a real contractor

Post Likes
    Considering that is one of the most troublesome units I've ever seen, I would call your York dealer and ask them to send a field service rep.
    They have made so many design and part changes to that unit, it's hard to keep up.
    But hey, at least you have heat every now and then.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

8. Likes kangaroogod liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanCory View Post
    Is 200PPG normal?
    Depends on who you talk to and how it was measured.

A measurement of 400 ppm is the maximum “Air Free” CO in all vented heating appliances (ANSI Z21).

Less than 100 ppm “as measured” is the normal standard that Technicians trained in combustion analysis will use.

The conditions that CO “Air Free” exist under are a physical impossibility, as the reading represents a CO level with no Oxygen (O2) present in the flue gas.

Obviously a service call is needed on this unit, so I too would search out a company with someone trained in combustion analysis.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

10. Likes Freezeking2000, ksefan liked this post