Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Unbiased selection help Lennox,Trane Amana

Hi All,

Thanks for taking a look at this. I can't find postive reviews and am having a hard time deciding on a system. It's been weeks without heat. I have two different vendors offering me:

Lennox EL180
    CX 34
    OR

Trane XV80
    XR16

OR

Amana AMVC81005CN
    ASX160371

I'm looking for reliability. Also what would you (as a professional) put in your house out of these systems? I live in East Pennsylvania and have natural gas. Roughly 1500 sq. Both companies sent out techs who are veterans in HVAC Thanks again.

Post Likes
    You wont find reviews. It isn't a car built in a factory it's a lot of parts assembled in your home by ??? workers.

Concentrate on the installing contractor more then the name on the box's!

Post Likes
    They are all pretty reliable.
    More important than brand, find a GOOD contractor.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    I sure don't like the sizing of the Amana. 100K furnace and 3 ton A/C sound nuts in your area. I'm guessing he's guessing or basing size on what's there. It would have to be an all glass house or not a stitch of insulation to need that much.

Why not a 95% furnace?

5. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes

95%

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I sure don't like the sizing of the Amana. 100K furnace and 3 ton A/C sound nuts in your area. I'm guessing he's guessing or basing size on what's there. It would have to be an all glass house or not a stitch of insulation to need that much.

Why not a 95% furnace?
    A 95% furnace would require too much work. If I remeber correctly there is no good place to put a vent or exhaust to the outside? Also, cost analysis I don't know if we are going to move in the future the price on 95% didn't make sense. The house is about 50 yrs old. Currently I have a 90k lennox wisper air that died after 20+ years.

Both companies have good reviews.

Post Likes
    Any of those brands could be great. At the same time all could be junk. Who did load calculations?

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...vac-brands.htm

http://efficientcomfort.net/document...ign_Issues.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/document...ty_Control.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/document...s_Properly.pdf

www.loadcalc.net

There is no "best brand". This isn't a car or appliance. This system is to be selected and installed for your home.
    How's the duct work? It'll cause problems too for the equipment if the duct is poorly designed or the wrong size.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

8. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thank you for the info. I don't think either did load calc. I had 4 guys come and price out the system originally and none did a load calc to my knowledge. Duct work should be fine but what do I know. I know that isn't going to be changed out this system is going to drown me already. It's very fustrating. I want to get someone in here before everyone gets busy with AC repairs. !

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Make sure the unit is sized properly to your home, every home is different. Chooses the contractor that you think will do the best job, ask your neighbors who hey use.

As for the brand, they are all similary built, 90% of all the parts made in china and Mexico. I know Amana has a hard to beat warranty, can't recall off the top of my head. That is another important factor to look at between contractors and Mfgs.

To answer your question: I would put in an amana/goodman unit, cheaper generally and I know what I'm doing. Plus like I said if I remember right the warranty is great.

12. Likes wahoo liked this post
    Post Likes
    Having already made your mind up that no duct work is going to be changed could be a problem. A properly trained contractor can measure static pressures and know whether duct work is required or not. If ducts are sized improperly, none of those choices, or any other, will be reliable.

Bobby

14. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    In my own home, I've got a 95% Goodman furnace with a 14 SEER Amana heat pump and I can get nearly any brand I want.......

The MAIN thing is really the contractor, not the brand.

Post Likes
    The Amana models you provided once registered gives you a new furnace if HX ever fails ( to original owner thou ) and a new OD unit if compressor ever fails. Also looks to be communicating, unlike the other brand models. Doubt the other brand models you mention come close to that warranty.

If you want added security Amana offers a extended labour warranty that is backed by Amana, don't believe the other brands mentioned back their extended labour warranties but use someone else.

As mentioned already manufacturer actually do not manufacture/make many of their own parts anymore.

The Lennox EL180 looks to have a constant torque motor ( nothing wrong with that ) but the Amana and Trane looks to have a variable speed motor on the models you provided.

Of course you have to get all your ducks in a row to get long reliable life from whatever brand model you choose such as ductwork, proper size, following the start up guide/commissioning report field system refrigerant charging etc.etc. ( which typically is supplied with each piece of equipment. )

Seems like you get a lot of bang for the bucks with the Amana.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 03-23-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Post Likes

SIZING PROCESS - ACCA MANUAL J

Quote Originally Posted by tireguy View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for taking a look at this.
    I can't find positive reviews and am having a hard time deciding on a system.
    It's been weeks without heat.

I have two different vendors offering me:

OR
    Trane XV80 / XR16

I'm looking for reliability.

Also what would you (as a professional) put in your house out of these systems?
    I live in East Pennsylvania and have natural gas.
    Roughly 1500 sq.

Both companies sent out techs who are veterans in HVAC
    Thanks again.
    Heating load is likely < 35,000 BTU/Hr at 13'F
    for a 1,500 Square Foot residence
    < 40 years old with good windows.

Anyone proposing equipment capacity of 100,000 BTU/HR
    should NOT be considered
    unless your house is actually > 100 years old with NO Improvements.

ATTACHMENT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

18. Likes Freezeking2000 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast