Recycle old condenser???

Sorry for the beginner question, but after all I am a beginner. I just did my first condenser replacement and the old one is sitting in the back of my truck (it’s a 3.5 ton Carrier). Other than the copper is there any value to this thing? Is there any recycle value to the compressor? Or do I just toss it in the dumpster behind Wal-Mart? Thanks in advance for any input.

You could leave it in the back of your truck over night and the crackheads will show you how to strip one....anything left over is of no value.

Copper, aluminum, steel...they are all worth money today. I usually collect a few before a trip to the recycler. Also if you disassemble it to separate the metals to like types you will get more money.

paul

Only replaced the condenser?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

they pay for everything comp, copper, aluminum, steel if they buy cardboard they will buy anything. These's one down the street that buys clothes don't know why or how much for it but whatever

Quote Originally Posted by SinCityKid View Post
    Or do I just toss it in the dumpster behind Wal-Mart? Thanks in advance for any input.
    I hope you are kidding about this. I once had a lazy installer working for me that decided to use a random office dumpster instead of taking the load to the dump as instructed. Somebody in the office complex didnt like this, and called the police. It took them around two weeks to track down our company and assess a hefty fine, but only about 5 minutes to figure out who did it and send his a$$ packing. Breaking the law on your first job isn't how you intend to start out is it? Especially over something so silly.

Quote Originally Posted by laszer99 View Post
    they pay for everything comp, copper, aluminum, steel if they buy cardboard they will buy anything. These's one down the street that buys clothes don't know why or how much for it but whatever
    Thats funny...we have a scrap yard down the street that has a sign about selling used levi's jeans

Just in the last few weeks the lines to drop off have been around the block. The value of scrap metal has gone through the roof.

We used to scrap the units by cutting them apart and loading them into my daughters truck to recycle the cut apart scrap. Being a cute 16 year old, she's get top dollar and split it 50-50 with the crew. Since she didn't have a outside job, the 1099 didn't make her pay too much taxes.

Yes, the truck was hers and in her name.

Recycle it. If not for the money, then because we can. It saves resources. We have a recycling place in Austin that I will just kick the old condenser off or coil or furnace and they recycle it all. I don't want the money, too much of a pain in the arse for $20. Just take the freon out first.

Down here in Atlanta, the metal recycling places accept different categories of metals. I generally separate the units into:

Copper
    Copper/fin coils
    Steel (includes the compressor)
    If there is an aluminum coil, then a 4th category; but aluminum does not pay well at all...

I usually save up 2 or 3 units before cutting them up; It seems to take about 45 min each to cut them up, separate it out, and load the trailer for a trip to the recycler...

Generally I end up with a little short of a tank of gas in the van for each full system (furnace, coil, condenser) recycled... And as others have said; it is cheaper to recycle metal than make it from ore. Better and greener IMO.

Hope I did not get too close to the 'no pricing' rule there...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14