Thread: Help, I think I'm loosing air

Post Likes

Unhappy Help, I think I'm loosing air

Several times over the past few weeks I have opened the utility closet where my AC lives and it is COOL! This is disturbing to me (a novice) b/c the utility closet is accessed from the outside of the house (via a door with slats no less) and is not supposed to be climate controlled. I have always had indoor air handling units so feeling cool air around the unit would not be too horrible. I have to make a decision whether to pay someone $50 to come look at it, but if it is normal then I don't want to waste the money. Is this why my master bedroom (last vent in the duct work) is never as cool as the rest of the house...beacuse the system is stressed? Am I air conditioning the neighborhood?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolinTheDesert View Post
    Several times over the past few weeks I have opened the utility closet where my AC lives and it is COOL! This is disturbing to me (a novice) b/c the utility closet is accessed from the outside of the house (via a door with slats no less) and is not supposed to be climate controlled. I have always had indoor air handling units so feeling cool air around the unit would not be too horrible. I have to make a decision whether to pay someone $50 to come look at it, but if it is normal then I don't want to waste the money. Is this why my master bedroom (last vent in the duct work) is never as cool as the rest of the house...beacuse the system is stressed? Am I air conditioning the neighborhood?
    You got it man.....money saved.

Remove your pricing. Its not allowed here.

And call a pro. If your unconditioned space is cooler than your conditioned space....then there is more than likely a problem.

If nothing more, at least get the unit serviced. There probably more going on than you may think. And a dime spent is a dollar saved.

Good luck. Have fun. Keep us posted.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    You are possibly leaking air aroung the supply ducts and evaporator coil. Either buy some 181 tape and seal up any air leak you can feel around the unit, or, spend the $ to get a proffessional to pull off the insulation and mastic seal around all the take offs and around the retun plenum and the evaporator coil. As far as the farthest duct, It depends on the size, the condition, and the way the duct is run. That determines the velocity and volume of air comming out of that vent.

Post Likes

Thanks, don't know anything about AC

Sorry about the $ reference (its just a stupid home warranty copaythat has done nothing for me). Not to play the dumb girl card, but can I ask... do you think money is better spent on an independent certified AC person rather than flushing the other money for housecall to tell me it was incorrectly installed and not covered? I'm at a loss and just hoping to make the right decision on tight finances.

Post Likes
    Sorry about the $ reference (its just a stupid home warranty copaythat has done nothing for me). Not to play the dumb girl card, but can I ask... do you think money is better spent on an independent certified AC person rather than flushing the other money for housecall to tell me it was incorrectly installed and not covered? I'm at a loss and just hoping to make the right decision on tight finances.
    Absolutely.....

Get yourself a reputable contractor and drop that home warranty $hit. Its not worth the money.

The home warranty company will do no more than absolutely required to get you cooling again, whether its right or not.

Get you a good contractor. Spend the money on the contractor and not the warranty company. The contractor will go a lot further and get your system running properly, not hacked together like the warranty company would allow.

And get a service contract. They are worth it 150% with out a doubt. Provided they are done properly.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    If the home warranty people had the unit installed more than likely they are responsible to have it corrected. They usally go with the lowest bid. If it was like that when you bought the home then they are probably responsible. I have done work for those companis enough to know I will never have a home warranty company. They will always try to find a way not to pay.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Absolutely.....

Get yourself a reputable contractor and drop that home warranty $hit. Its not worth the money.

The home warranty company will do no more than absolutely required to get you cooling again, whether its right or not.

Get you a good contractor. Spend the money on the contractor and not the warranty company. The contractor will go a lot further and get your system running properly, not hacked together like the warranty company would allow.

And get a service contract. They are worth it 150% with out a doubt. Provided they are done properly.

Agree ,but post some pics here first might give you some great advice.

Post Likes

Ok, I can see the light now

I'm on the phone cancelling my request for warranty service. Tomorrow I'll try to find some real help from a certified service provider. I just bought the house last September...wish this was obvious back then, but I guess it is a good lesson. Thank you all for the advice. - Jennifer

Post Likes
    I'm on the phone cancelling my request for warranty service. Tomorrow I'll try to find some real help from a certified service provider. I just bought the house last September...wish this was obvious back then, but I guess it is a good lesson. Thank you all for the advice. - Jennifer
    anytime.....where are you located.....

I bet theres at least 1 member of this site from your general area that can either help you out or at least get you hooked in with a good contractor in your area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Agree ,but post some pics here first might give you some great advice.
    I posted some pics in the Commercial Food forum...

Ice Machine that I cleaned. Good before and after pics. Shows first hand what a little service can do to a system.

Post Likes

located in the southwest

Tucson, specifically IVET. Don't know if it is allowed, but I would be happy to follow up on any personal references for local reputable service providers. No guarantees of course on your part...I know.
    The desert heat is brutal on ACs down here and makes people kind of desperate and not very selective when scheduling service so I would venture to say there are some individuals out there who count on the desperate calls to support their less than legit business. I'm new to the city and would love identify a reliable AC person.

Post Likes
    Absolutely.....

Oh! You had them to want to be in business with you too. Pay their bill after they try to talk your price down or try to tell you that they don't pay that much for a motor. Then when you condemn a unit they want to know if it was caused by rust or corrosion. Or the other good one " We will send you a unit to install for us and to warranty".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Oh! You had them to want to be in business with you too. Pay their bill after they try to talk your price down or try to tell you that they don't pay that much for a motor. Then when you condemn a unit they want to know if it was caused by rust or corrosion. Or the other good one " We will send you a unit to install for us and to warranty".
    What the hell????

I understood absolutely none of that. Are you on my side here or goin against me?

Try using more than 3 sentences. Its hard to follow your point.

Post Likes
    I have to admit, I'm a little confused myself.

Post Likes
    I think hes mad at someone for something.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    huh?

Post Likes
    What the hell????

I understood absolutely none of that. Are you on my side here or goin against me?

Try using more than 3 sentences. Its hard to follow your point.
    Sorry I was trying to be sarcastic. I am on your side this is the lines the home warranties companies use to try to get A/C companies to do there work. I have worked at four different shops that took on home warranty companies those are the lines they use. Oh by the way all four dropped them after about six months. The last one is still trying to get paid on eight different invoices. Beware of AHS.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in