Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oloenneker View Post
    You never know. I know some really good tin benders and retro installers that would make any of you guys' work look like a 10 year old with a hatchet installed it. But service technicians, they are not.

Ozonetrooper:

Apply for the Pro Membership, and these knuckleheads won't cackle at your posts.

I completely agree
    I know some of the best tinknockers. Beutiful work but refused to learn service.
    give the guy a break e very well could be what he says he is

get you post count up

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    He said he was a technician........

not an installer......

If he's an installer, he should have one of his buddies come look at it, as apposed to try to have us help him over the net....

Hmmmm... Maybe you should try taking a reading comprehension class sometime. He actually wrote:

btw, I am a technician with over 15 years experience...
    Now, where I live, we speak English, and in that language, "Technician" has many definitions. In the HVAC world we have several "kind" of technicians. There are Installation Technicians, and Service Technicians. He did not specify which he was. Hell I have even seen "Dispatch Technicians, and Customer Service Technicians"...

Good job jumping the gun before you even know the whole story.

Wow, tough crowd. I know what you guys are saying but so be it. Maybe he is one of us. Let me rephrase that, maybe he does work in the same industry as us, lets not bash him. For whatever reason (even lack of knowledge) he came to us and I don't imagine he was expecting to get dogged.
    ## + years in the field never made you a know-it-all This industry is far more diverse than you are

As far as a sight glass...it is practically useless in residential applications. Only time I've seen them is on larger units with extremely odd installation applications.
    It used to be, at one time, that was how you charged a system. If you look around on multi-family dwelling and commercial, they are used eveywhere to this day. Even on smaller units, like 1 1/2 ton units.

Hmmmm... Maybe you should try taking a reading comprehension class sometime. He actually wrote:

Now, where I live, we speak English, and in that language, "Technician" has many definitions. In the HVAC world we have several "kind" of technicians. There are Installation Technicians, and Service Technicians. He did not specify which he was. Hell I have even seen "Dispatch Technicians, and Customer Service Technicians"...

WOW I speak that ol english to and you are in the same boat as he.

double post
    Last edited by tinknocker service tech; 08-05-2008 at 10:04 PM.

I like jumpin the gun....its a lot of fun.

Round here, its service tech and installer. And our installers round here are not service techs.

If he doesn't understand the basics of refrigeration and how the system works, why wouldn't he get one of his service techs to help him out?????
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Round here, its service tech and installer. And our installers round here are not service techs.

If he doesn't understand the basics of refrigeration and how the system works, why wouldn't he get one of his service techs to help him out?????
    He is doing better than getting his service techs out. He's getting us!
    ## + years in the field never made you a know-it-all This industry is far more diverse than you are

It used to be, at one time, that was how you charged a system. If you look around on multi-family dwelling and commercial, they are used eveywhere to this day. Even on smaller units, like 1 1/2 ton units.
    I know I know. I work in refrigeration. They are everywhere on refer units and Commercial systems.

But when it comes to the smaller residential heat pumps, Superheat and Subcooling readings will go a lot further than a sight glass. On these systems, a sight glass is nothing more than 2 more joints that could start leaking.

Let's get one thing straight, I am by no means bashing the OP. Its hard to believe that over 15 years experiences yields no knowledge of service. If he is a pro, I would encourage him to get pro status. A lot can be learned. But on the other hand, if one hasn't learned in over 15 years, whos to say they would be willing to start now???

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by git-r-dun View Post
    He is doing better than getting his service techs out. He's getting us!
    We can't diagnose it for him...........

He did do better by coming here, but he's starting out post #1 with a DIY question. Pro or not, needs to read the rules.

And should at least understand that the pro's in our industry take pride in what we do and won't help out just anyone over the net.....

Hey Bob....

That post screams DIY and a "tech" with no damn clue as to what the hell is going on.....

I doubt closing the door is gonna help this one
    I didn't close the door.........I am gonna rely on the rest of you to keep things in line............so far so good except for one post and one quote!

I know I know. I work in refrigeration. They are everywhere on refer units and Commercial systems.

But when it comes to the smaller residential heat pumps, Superheat and Subcooling readings will go a lot further than a sight glass. On these systems, a sight glass is nothing more than 2 more joints that could start leaking.

Let's get one thing straight, I am by no means bashing the OP. Its hard to believe that over 15 years experiences yields no knowledge of service. If he is a pro, I would encourage him to get pro status. A lot can be learned. But on the other hand, if one hasn't learned in over 15 years, whos to say they would be willing to start now???
    YEP!!!!!!!!

When I Installed, where where called "Install Techs" And, no, no service tech came behind us to start the equipment up either. That was your job too. It;s very easy to mess up a Install Tech that expects that the equipment is going to fire up right the first time, because it has so many other times. This is especially true with package units.

So, If you have no real diagnostic skills, but you know how to do a proper start up (Well, proper is relative) then something like a stuck TXV, or the Wrong piston could really screw with even a really good installer.

BTW, I am an installer that also does service.... And a Service Tech that Installs equipment. Sometimes I also sell equipment. What does that make me?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast