Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: At A Loss Here !

Post Likes

At A Loss Here !

I changed out my condensing unit, (a very used Goodman 10 seer), with a Nordyne 13 seer, and, the evaporator coil on the horizontal natural gas furnace with a Aspen 13 seer expansion valve cased coil.

The condensor sits on the ground level and the ecoil is in the attic approx. 16 foot above the cond. unit. I relocated the line set to make an arc about a foot above the highest point of the ecoil case to stop off-cycle migration.

I installed a 16 cu.in LL filter dryer at the ecoil and a sight glass at the cond. unit.

Upon start up and charging system, in order to clear the glass it produced 95 psig suction with 275 head pressure with a very warm liquid line.

I adjusted the charge to 175 head pressure which only resulted in lowering the suction to 80/85 psig, while flooding the compressor very badly !

I adjusted the charge until the compressor was not flooded and the suction was in the 75/80 psig range but the suction line was not sweating back nor was the condensing cycle producing sufficiant removed heat out of the top of the cond. unit.

The ecoil is a universal refrigerant use coil and I did check the valve to make sure it was a R-22 valve and yes it is, (green tag).

My theory is that the sensing bulb has lost its charge, (coming this way out of the box), and the valve is stuck in the wide open position. I know of no way of proving this except to change the valve.

btw, I am a technician with over 15 years experience in new install and retrofitting equipment, and this is on my own home.......

Any suggestions or comments before I go to the parts store and request a "loaner" valve to prove my theory ?

Thankx in advance,

Ozonetrooper
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    WOW

Post Likes
    You have over 15 years experience and still cannot properly diagnose a failure of an expansion valve????

You've got to frickin joking!!!!!!!!

I feel really sorry for your customers.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post

Removed quote from deleted post. Just a little off the edge.
    Oh its possible.....

nowhere was a micron level mentioned....
    Last edited by HeyBob; 08-05-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: See above

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    This really belongs in the Professional Technical Forum. Get 15 posts, apply for professional membership and we'll help you behind closed doors where the DIY crowd can't see it.

Please review the rules also. There are links in my signature line.

Post Likes
    You never know. I know some really good tin benders and retro installers that would make any of you guys' work look like a 10 year old with a hatchet installed it. But service technicians, they are not.

Ozonetrooper:

Apply for the Pro Membership, and these knuckleheads won't cackle at your posts.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 08-05-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Removed quote from post that was deleted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    This really belongs in the Professional Technical Forum. Get 15 posts, apply for professional membership and we'll help you behind closed doors where the DIY crowd can't see it.

Please review the rules also. There are links in my signature line.
    Hey Bob....

That post screams DIY and a "tech" with no damn clue as to what the hell is going on.....

I doubt closing the door is gonna help this one

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oloenneker View Post
    You never know. I know some really good tin benders and retro installers that would make any of you guys' work look like a 10 year old with a hatchet installed it. But service technicians, they are not.
    He said he was a technician........

not an installer......

If he's an installer, he should have one of his buddies come look at it, as apposed to try to have us help him over the net....

Post Likes
    New concept charge a unit til you hear the compressor flooding then back off a hair.This will save us all time.
    What is the deal with the sight glass?
    Last edited by RDP; 08-05-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    New consept charge a unit til you hear the compressor flooding then back off a hair.This will save us all time.
    What is the deal with the sight glass?
    You have never charged with a sight glass? What, are you new to the trade, or something?

Post Likes
    was the bulb for expansion valve wrapped or removed before brazing?

and was it properly evacuated ?

Post Likes
    Come on fellas. He said 15 years on instalation. I know plenty of guys down here (we call them installers). That couldn't diagnose a bad compressor let alone a bad x-valve. They install service tech starts them up. Yall trying to run off a man on his first post.

Post Likes
    We're not tryin to run him off...........

We're tryin to get him to post more information.

As far as a sight glass...it is practically useless in residential applications. Only time I've seen them is on larger units with extremely odd installation applications.

Post Likes

Ozonetrooper:

Apply for the Pro Membership, and these knuckleheads won't cackle at your posts.

I completely agree
    I know some of the best tinknockers. Beutiful work but refused to learn service.
    give the guy a break e very well could be what he says he is

get you post count up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    He said he was a technician........

not an installer......

If he's an installer, he should have one of his buddies come look at it, as apposed to try to have us help him over the net....

Hmmmm... Maybe you should try taking a reading comprehension class sometime. He actually wrote:

btw, I am a technician with over 15 years experience...
    Now, where I live, we speak English, and in that language, "Technician" has many definitions. In the HVAC world we have several "kind" of technicians. There are Installation Technicians, and Service Technicians. He did not specify which he was. Hell I have even seen "Dispatch Technicians, and Customer Service Technicians"...

Good job jumping the gun before you even know the whole story.

Post Likes
    Wow, tough crowd. I know what you guys are saying but so be it. Maybe he is one of us. Let me rephrase that, maybe he does work in the same industry as us, lets not bash him. For whatever reason (even lack of knowledge) he came to us and I don't imagine he was expecting to get dogged.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post

As far as a sight glass...it is practically useless in residential applications. Only time I've seen them is on larger units with extremely odd installation applications.
    It used to be, at one time, that was how you charged a system. If you look around on multi-family dwelling and commercial, they are used eveywhere to this day. Even on smaller units, like 1 1/2 ton units.

Post Likes
    Hmmmm... Maybe you should try taking a reading comprehension class sometime. He actually wrote:

Now, where I live, we speak English, and in that language, "Technician" has many definitions. In the HVAC world we have several "kind" of technicians. There are Installation Technicians, and Service Technicians. He did not specify which he was. Hell I have even seen "Dispatch Technicians, and Customer Service Technicians"...

WOW I speak that ol english to and you are in the same boat as he.

Post Likes
    double post
    Last edited by tinknocker service tech; 08-05-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Post Likes

I like jumpin the gun....its a lot of fun.

Round here, its service tech and installer. And our installers round here are not service techs.

If he doesn't understand the basics of refrigeration and how the system works, why wouldn't he get one of his service techs to help him out?????

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in