Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    Yota's been compromised. He had the Manitowoc control chip implanted back here.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Coats View Post
    and I'd buy the nicest one I could find for under counter use.
    Bob I really still like the Manitowoc.

Most of the problems I've seen have been install problems with the condensate pump out drain.

The installer will kink the drain hose and the machine will cycle on and off on the overflow safety.

Other than that they have been good.

I like the idea of the delayed start so it will start up after you wake up or leave.

The built in water filter on the front needs no explanation for you

The Mani actually holds more ice in the bin and you can see in there with the built in led light

I still haven't seen one in a home and they say there's no warranty extended for home use.

I really don't get the problem even when they say on there literature that one of the places it was designed was for a home.http://www.manitowocice.com/products/sm50.asp

If you could figure out the warranty situation there is an extra year over the Hosi unit.

Might think of buying it through work as an expense anyway.

When the warranty call comes in it's really in a home "office" Right?

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Maniti-wok is made in China

and the Hoshi he is looking at is not a stainless evap
    This is getting rediculus all the manufacturers are leaving the country. The U.S. helped build these companies and they move out of country to increase there profit margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    Yota's been compromised. He had the Manitowoc control chip implanted back here.
    haha is that why all the alarms have been going off when i enter and leave stores latly??? lol

Got the Mani installed last week and it's working great.

A few observations...now I can only compare my thoughts against the Scotsman, but here goes anyway.

Water Connection:
    The Mani just had a stub with a plastic cap, but the Scotsman had a threaded fitting. For installing in a blind under-cabinet situation, the Scotsman's opening for the water line and location of the fitting was easier to fit than the back-side only of the Mani.

Drain:
    The Scotsman had a smaller drain pump, but it was pre-installed including a long drain hose. The Mani required a separate drain pump to be purchased and installed as well as some additional drain line. The Mani's pump is a beast and works superbly. However, the output plastic barb fitting for the drain hose connection forces the hose to kink, due to a lack of space between the pump's body and the underside of the ice bin. Jury is out on if the double-stick tape used to attach the pump to the bottom of the Mani's chassis will be effective over time.

Electrical: No issues. Had to rig an extension cord to reach the outlet, that's all.

Fit/Physical Install: Both the Mani and the Scotsman fit the opening just fine. Both have screw-type leveling feet. The Scotsman was a bit easier to adjust, as it's feet were hex-shaped and the Mani's were round. Just a nit-pick. I wish the Mani were sold in another finish besides stainless. The Scotsman has a slot in the front panel to allow installs of different panels to match the rest of the kitchen. Overall fit and finish is better on the Mani. Even though it's made in China, the steel, fasteners, and plastic all appear to be of good quality and assembled correctly.

Acoustic/Sound: The Mani has a nice set of controls (near the top; easy to reach) and the user can turn the system on or off. This is nice when you want the kitchen to be a bit more quiet. I think the Mani might be a speck louder when running than the Scotsman, but it is close. I did note the air duct for the cooling air on the Mani had a lot of metal near the fan, and I think that contributes to the sound somewhat. If it becomes too much, I may line the ducting with some Dynamat material to mute the fan/compressor noise a bit.

Performance/Use: The Mani really smokes the Scotsman here; the Mani kicks out the ice quickly, and its quality is outstanding. Everyone comments on the "cool" 8-sided cube shape. The LED is a nice touch, and adds to the "cool" factor. The clever scoop storage slots on the inside door take a bit of getting use to, but work better than the Scotsman's curved metal bar and smaller traditional scoop design. The built-in water filter on the Mani is a very nice touch too. Although in my situation, an under sink filter is in use already.

Service: With the Scotsman, it was a monthly chore to clean the coils or the performance would drop off dramatically. The coils on the Mani are a bit tougher to access, but appear larger and wider, so maybe they won't capture as much dust as the Scotsman. Just have to wait and see on this one. The built-in filter seems to be a snap to swap out; just twist and remove, no tools, no drama. Finally, I am really curious why Mani provides only a 1-year warranty for residential installations, but 3 years for commercial. This is especially odd for this under counter model I bought, as it's clearly intended for residential (or maybe small office) use.

Final Thoughts: The Mani appears to be a better-built machine, no doubt. While the Scotsman served my family nicely for many years, it was clear we would not own another one next time. Due to the fine advice offered here, I am confident the Mani will last even longer.

Thanks guys!

Very informative post Robert

If you ever get tired of you day job .............

You should check out Comfortech 2008 in Atlanta

Nice write up! but I'm alittle confuses I've never seen an 8 sided Mani. cube?? they make sheets that breakup as they fall into the bin or nuggets. Is that a typo?

The Hoshi makes 1/4 round cubes that pack more ice in the cup and by far scotsman packs the most ice in a cup or glass with thier countour cube which yields less product and more ice in glass, For personal use I would prefer scotsman or Hoshi since they pack more ice in any given space and hoshi since they are more forgiving when not frequently cleaned.
    As far as service Manitowoc is my all time favorite since they provide ALOT more service support than any other refrigeration product manufacturer, especially ice machines.

I've used a Manitowoc service handbook to diagnose a refrigeration problem with a Cornelius unit.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Nice write up! but I'm alittle confuses I've never seen an 8 sided Mani. cube?? they make sheets that breakup as they fall into the bin or nuggets. Is that a typo?

The Hoshi makes 1/4 round cubes that pack more ice in the cup and by far scotsman packs the most ice in a cup or glass with thier countour cube which yields less product and more ice in glass, For personal use I would prefer scotsman or Hoshi since they pack more ice in any given space and hoshi since they are more forgiving when not frequently cleaned.
    As far as service Manitowoc is my all time favorite since they provide ALOT more service support than any other refrigeration product manufacturer, especially ice machines.

I've used a Manitowoc service handbook to diagnose a refrigeration problem with a Cornelius unit.
    M# SM50
    http://www.manitowocice.com/products/sm50.asp
    I think it has more storage than Scoty or Hosi for this size

hoshi

well I am working for a service co now and we also have an ice machine rental dept and have about 125 machines out last i checked and our primary machine is hoshi we also have scottsman crystal tips and manitowoc hoshi is the most reliable just an opinion I know everybody has one but when you fix a hoshi right the first time itll run like a raped ape ......clean or dirty ac&r junky

i am still waiting for my labor allowance for a warranty call on a manitowac

it was not even 24 hours old and locked up the compressor!

my distributor sent a new machine, they said it was an isolated incident

this was 2 months ago, i called them the other day about my labor warranty status

they got all snooty with me, but eventually told me that my claim is being processed and it

may take 3 months for reimbursement

get the Hoshizaki

i just looked back at the date you posted this, what did you end up getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    i just looked back at the date you posted this, what did you end up getting?
    I got the Mani. It's working great, but a bit noisy. I'll probably install a few square inches of Dynamat material in and around the sheet metal close to the fan to help.

Photo: (Why doesn't it show up in the message?)

too late for this guy. when the mani craps out he can get the Hoshi.

I don't know why you have problems getting Hoshi parts. If we call before noon they arrive the next day. I have NEVER ordered a hoshi part they didn't have in stock and delivered the next day.

I have seen a lot more mani grids come apart than hoshi evaps separate.

But ot os personal preferance. the owner of my shops sells Manis and likes them better. we always jab each other about which is best. he has 4 machines in the shop and 3 are mani one is hoshi. Guess which much runs continuously without a problem. you know everyt time I see him playing with the Manis I give it to him good. heh heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid View Post
    I have seen a lot more mani grids come apart than hoshi evaps separate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast