Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I Think I Know, But Better Ask A Pro...

You guys were a big help to me last year with my Scotsman machine (see http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150385) but it died on me again (molds won't get cold), and I'm ready to buy a new machine.

I've got it narrowed down to either a Manitowac or Hoshizaki machine, both are close in specs, and will fit under the counter where the Scotsman lies dead now.

Manitowac ?????

Hoshizaki ?????

I like the 3 year warranty on the Manitowac, but curious why the Hoshizaki is more, and rated at 51 lbs. vs. the 53 lbs. for the Manitowac.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Manitowac, but if anyone can suggest why not, or another brand/model to consider, I'm listening.
    Last edited by Admin; 08-05-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Need to remove the pricing and links please, against the rules. Then we'll advise.

OK....

Both brands are good ones. Hoshi is kind of proud of their parts after the warranty runs out. If it was me, I'd go with the Manitowac.

well why don't you talk to the company that you will be using for service work and find out which one they are more comfortable working on?

Are ya sure Scoty's dead

I giving it all shes got captain!

Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a refrigeration technician

I am truly sorry to hear that Bobby
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Are ya sure Scoty's dead

I giving it all shes got captain!

Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a refrigeration technician

I am truly sorry to hear that Bobby
    i like manis.. HOSI's r a pain to work on and i have the worst problem getting there parts.. But as was stated ask ur refrigeration company which they like better

Manitiwok has been around a long time. Has proven reliability. Hoshizaki is hard to get parts and are kinda pricey. Although I have heard that hoshis are supposed to be the cadilac of the ice machines (form hoshi dealers)They are a pain to work on. But have stainless steel plates. Manitiwok is AMERICAN MADE. At least the last I heard.

Have they moved to Mexico yet???

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Are ya sure Scoty's dead
    (
    Water valve opens, jet spray, but molds don't get cold. Timer does not move. Timer was replaced last fall. Tried manually turning the timer a bit, but nothing. I'm thinking since the molds aren't cold, there no signal indicating that to the brain telling the timer to advance. At this stage, I'd need to fully disconnect it, drag it back to the shop 24 miles away, and let them work on it. Sure, it would be cheaper to do that than buy a new one, but I promised myself after the last repairs working out to $400+, that would be the end of the line, and I'd buy the nicest one I could find for under counter use.

I'll probably donate old Scotty to our local Vo-Tech college. At least he can do some good there for the students, and maybe make ice for the <ahem> teacher's lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Manitiwok has been around a long time. Has proven reliability. Hoshizaki is hard to get parts and are kinda pricey. Although I have heard that hoshis are supposed to be the cadilac of the ice machines (form hoshi dealers)They are a pain to work on. But have stainless steel plates. Manitiwok is AMERICAN MADE. At least the last I heard.

Have they moved to Mexico yet???
    Maniti-wok is made in China

and the Hoshi he is looking at is not a stainless evap

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Coats View Post
    Sure, it would be cheaper to do that than buy a new one, but I promised myself after the last repairs working out to $400+, that would be the end of the line, and I'd buy the nicest one I could find for under counter use.
    I kind was wondering how long before that moldy little turd crapped out.

Sounds like a Stones song.

IDONTGET NO

Delayed
    Gratification

I like Hoshis myself.

I have had no problems getting parts. I have a van full of parts for Hoshis, including a few cube guides.

Manis are ok. But I prefer a Hoshi anytime.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Manatowac.

Quote Originally Posted by yotaman16 View Post
    i like manis.. HOSI's r a pain to work on and i have the worst problem getting there parts.. But as was stated ask ur refrigeration company which they like better
    Yota's been compromised. He had the Manitowoc control chip implanted back here.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast