Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Roster

My partner and I made a roster out of stainless steal that we had gotten from a kitchen that was being down sized. A shaft from a small cooling tower. A old gear box from a old coal stoker. Got an old trailer from Brother in law slapped it on and we have a free stainless steal pig roster. Just got a set of burners from a large dryer thinking of adding this to make it a smoker as well as a roster, now it is a charcoal roster. It's all about free so next time your dumpster diving don't feel bad just think what can I make from this.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Litchmo View Post
    My partner and I made a roster out of stainless steal that we had gotten from a kitchen that was being down sized. A shaft from a small cooling tower. A old gear box from a old coal stoker. Got an old trailer from Brother in law slapped it on and we have a free stainless steal pig roster. Just got a set of burners from a large dryer thinking of adding this to make it a smoker as well as a roster, now it is a charcoal roster. It's all about free so next time your dumpster diving don't feel bad just think what can I make from this.
    Hey!!! Great Job on your pig roaster. Too bad we have to do this HVAC/R all the time. It cuts into our other projects.

thanks. your not kidding if i got one project done this summer it was alot the summer is just slipping away

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    Do you put a pan in that thing cause the burner seems really close to the shaft. I have seen similar units but never really looked close at the innards. I think its a cool project. I once built a smoke house as big as an outhouse. That thing worked great. I made many pounds of jerkey and sausage.
    I have a plate installed over the burners to prevent fat clogging and flare ups, the distance between the burners and the shaft should be OK for the 50 to 75LB hog. I'm planning on having an annual "pig and shoot" party invite some family and friends and drink some beers, eat some pork and shoot some skeets life doesnt get any better

Quote Originally Posted by Litchmo View Post
    thanks. your not kidding if i got one project done this summer it was alot the summer is just slipping away

Litchmo,

what do you think the value of your roaster is?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    mine is about 75% done, so far I have spent close to $500 on it, here some pictures.

thats the motor and speed reducer, hopefully it be done in another month, I just dont have the time.

Looks pretty good. Do you plan on painting it or leaving it as is?

mine is about 75% done, so far I have spent close to $500 on it, here some pictures.

thats the motor and speed reducer, hopefully it be done in another month, I just dont have the time.

Wow! Do you think you have enough burner capacity in that??? Looks like a mircowave for pigs. Ya got to cook them slow to allow for beer drinking, ya know.

I'm going to paint it when done, I bought a gallon of rustoleum high heat paint for that purpose.

the burners should be OK , I can have all four fired at 400K btus or fire just one or two for slow cooking, its going to look alot nicer when finished, work starting to slow down I'm hoping to take sometime off before the heating seasson and finish it up.

I have no clue, I think the only thing that was bought for it was new tires. every thing else was free.

I finished the hog roaster over the weekend, I lowered the burners and made an opening above to light them up, I got the tank up to 500F and blasted the inside with vegetables oil and let it burn for another hour, now I have to find a pig the give it a try.

Looks pretty neat.

The next thing you have to engineer is how to secure the pig to the shaft.
    When that pig starts to cook it will want to fall apart. After trial and error we came up with a 2 part basket that we made with 1/2" re-bar. First we wrapped the pig in aluminum foil. Then in chicken wire.

It ain't no fun having a half cooked pig floping around when you have a bunch of folks standing around watching you.

Ben,

when you have a chance take some pictures of the basket and post them here, I like to make something similar out of a of stainless steel rods.
    foil and chicken wire sounds like a good idea I been to a few roasts and always the meat ends up all over the place, thanks for your imput.

250 gallon oil tank grille questions

I finished the hog roaster over the weekend, I lowered the burners and made an opening above to light them up, I got the tank up to 500F and blasted the inside with vegetables oil and let it burn for another hour, now I have to find a pig the give it a try.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and found this site during an internet search for building a grille from a 250 gallon oil tank. We are building a grille mainly to be used for roasting turkeys at Thanksgiving for a community dinner but also on ocasion for family cookouts (large family). We had borrowed a grille that was set up on a 250 gallon tank (run off propane) and it worked really well. The borrowed grill had (1) burner that was made out of 1 1/2" (I think) gas pipe and we plan to do the same. This burner had "slots" cut in it. However, the guy with the borrowed grille moved south and we lost contact with the grille and him. So now we are building our own. I was wondering what you used for the burners (materials list, ect)? Need to have this one ready to go for this Thanksgiving so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Brian C.
    Pittsburgh, PA

PS. hvacpope, that grill you built looks awesome! Only difference with ours is it will be horizontal rather than vertical. Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast