Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Making a grill from Fuel Oil tank

Hey guys.

I am considering making one of those massive grills out of my 275 gallon fuel oil tank.

After i get the 100 gallons of fuel out of it... how much do I have to clean it before I try cutting it in half?

I was thinking a sawzall would do short work of it..... I just don't want it to blow up in my face while I am trying to cut it

use a sawzall to cut it. i have even cut lp tanks with it, never had a flame. once you get it split burn it out a few times. the oil will not explode.

I was hoping you would say that.....

Prolly attempt it in the next couple weeks once i can figure out what lake to put the oil in (just kidding)

If you don't see me post in septemeber, I suppose you will know what happened to me.

with the price of oil getting rid of it should be easy.

milwaulke "torch" blades go through oil tanks like butter......

a cheap blade will haunt you the whole way, have even seen them shatter..

They have a diamond tipped circular saw blade. This will cut your oil tank in half in less than 5 mins. They fit in your regular circular saw. They are fantastic but cost $75 buck.

For less money you can get an abrasive metal cutting circular saw blade. $10 bucks. But you might need 2 for a 275 gal tank.

Wear ear protection.

After you cut it in half get all the sludge you can out of it. Then set them upright. (Openings skyward.) Ball up some newspapers. Light them and throw them in to the tank halves. They won't explode.

A sawsall will take for ever and when it is done it will look like Toby's behind.

I' almost done building one, I used two tanks cut them with sawzall, junked the tops and cleaned the bottoms with some purple degreaser I bought from harbor freight most of the oil came out after a good wash then I threw some 2X4 inside and let it burn slow over night, wash them again, the oil smell was gone, I'm making a hog roaster with gas burners and electric rotisserei, I ll post some pictures when done

u need a real hot fire for at least 6 hours to burn out the oil or you will risk making yourself and others very sick
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Ah the sweet flavor of crude
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

i ended up just giving the tank away.. i ended up not making a grill out of it

mine is about 75% done, so far I have spent close to $500 on it, here some pictures.

thats the motor and speed reducer, hopefully it be done in another month, I just dont have the time.

Hmm why?

I hate to burst your bubble but you can buy much nicer units made of CLEAN stainless steel or refractory for about what you will have invested in this project.

Hey, knock yourself out, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble but you can buy much nicer units made of CLEAN stainless steel or refractory for about what you will have invested in this project.

Hey, knock yourself out, dude.
    I'm building a motorized gas fired pig roaster, similar unit made of stainless cost between $2000 to $6000, let me know where I can buy one for $500, I even pay you $100 for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    I'm building a motorized gas fired pig roaster, similar unit made of stainless cost between $2000 to $6000, let me know where I can buy one for $500, I even pay you $100 for the info.
    Do you put a pan in that thing cause the burner seems really close to the shaft. I have seen similar units but never really looked close at the innards. I think its a cool project. I once built a smoke house as big as an outhouse. That thing worked great. I made many pounds of jerkey and sausage.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast