Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I would appreciate anyone and everyones opinion!

I'm at work right now, so I don't have exact model numbers and everything, but here we go. I just got my power bill. $310. Now, my house was built in 2006, its 1-story, 1200 sq ft. The unit outside is a Goodman. The one inside is in the attic above the garage (not sure of the model on it, will post when I get home). Heres my problem. I lived in a 2-story house with 2000 sq ft before the one i'm in now and it only had 1 unit and my highest power bill was $130. The A/C runs ALL the time in my house now (even at night). The thermostat is set to 76 during the day and 74 at night, yet house is nevr below 78. If I go below 74 the pipes on the outside unit will freeze up. There is water constatntly coming out of the pcv pipe coming out of the house. There also isn't a whole lot of airflow coming out of the vents in the house. HVAC guy came today and said the unit was a little low on freon, but not much. He put a little in. He checked everything else and said nothing looked out of the ordinary. Of course, my wife was the only one there so he was in and out. I am beyond angry now. I cannot afford these power bills and I know its the A/C b/c nothing else is ever on b/c we're always at work. Any ideas of what to do? Should I try a digital thermostat instead of the crappy mechanical one thats there now? As soon as I get home I will post pics of everything so everyone can see how everything is setup. I am def an amateur when it comes to HVAC stuff. If someone can help me figure this out I will buy you a beer or your beverage of choice no matter where you are. I can't afford this anymore! Please help!

Air handlers in a hot attic have inherent problems.

Check your ducts in the attic for leaks. A leaky return duct draws hot attic air into the system. A leaky supply duct is conditioning the attic and robbing the house of conditioned air.

Adding more attic insulation and anything else you can do to reduce the cooling load is a major plus.

You can ask the tech if he measured "superheat" and "subcooling". These 2 numbers are needed to determine proper refrigerant charge.

Good luck.

Honestly, based on your other posts your best bet is to find another HVAC tech. Does not seem like the person that came out had the best interest for you and your family. Maybe there is someone here that can help you out. You could mention where you are located and see if someone replies. Other than that, I would ask friends our neighbors who they trust to reolve your issue.

Best of luck to you.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post pics of the duct work ,mainly what is attached to the air hanler in the attic.Sizes is a help too.

Look around for duct leakage while you are up there.

Pic of filter ,note the size,type, and location.

Model numbers of all equip,for sure,pics work great for that.

kw usage and cost per kw,location,and type of construction ,windows and insulation.

when was the last time you changed the filter and got the unit cleaned? is it in a dusty area?

Thanks for the replies. I will get pics up when I get home. I'm in Guyton, GA (about 30 miles Northwest of Savannah). I really wish I could leave work right now and go get pics of everything, but with as hot as it is today, it won't be much fun in that attic, ha. Another thing is that I'm renting this house. I told the landlord and he's the one that sent the tech out (I was actually surprised, any other time landlords are never much help). I've tried different filters too. From the expensive to the super cheap. It seems that when I use expensive filters like the arm and hammer ones (kind of fabric-like?) it doesn't pull enough air. When I use the cheap fiberglass ones you can feel the draft from it pulling air up into it, so I've stayed with the cheap ones.

the more dense and heavire the fitlers are the more restrictive they become, you just have to find one thats a happy medium with the amount of filtration you want

People read the post he says when he sets it below 74 the lines freeze up. There is an airflow problem here which also means the charge is wrong.

Klein tell your landlord that he must get this fixed he is responsible check into your local law regarding landlord responsibility. He needs to hire a competent contractor that will spend sufficient time to diagnosis the real problem.

Have them look for an airflow issue, either the return duct is inadequate or it is collapsing or the evaporator coil is blocked somehow. Regardless of why you’re not getting sufficient air across the coil and the tech is not competent enough to determine the correct charge.

For what it is worth there are no inherent problems with equipment being in an attic, everything in Houston and many other areas is in the attic and they work just fine and even manage to be efficient at the same time.

If its an electric unit. Have them make sure the strip heaters aren't coming on. If it's gas, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    If its an electric unit. Have them make sure the strip heaters aren't coming on. If it's gas, never mind.
    If the strips are coming on why would the lines be freezing up when the unit is set below 74*.

you need to be more informant

first you say barely blowing from vents
    you need to say is it cold air barely blowing or warm
    if its nice cool air have the service tech bump up the fan speed on the air handler
    if its not have him check the duct setup and make sure it is setup to work effectively
    and check the pressures and superheat subcool
    ***make sure you tell them to send a tech with knowledge of all these things before wasting more time and money

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    People read the post he says when he sets it below 74 the lines freeze up. There is an airflow problem here which also means the charge is wrong.

Klein tell your landlord that he must get this fixed he is responsible check into your local law regarding landlord responsibility. He needs to hire a competent contractor that will spend sufficient time to diagnosis the real problem.

Have them look for an airflow issue, either the return duct is inadequate or it is collapsing or the evaporator coil is blocked somehow. Regardless of why you’re not getting sufficient air across the coil and the tech is not competent enough to determine the correct charge.

For what it is worth there are no inherent problems with equipment being in an attic, everything in Houston and many other areas is in the attic and they work just fine and even manage to be efficient at the same time.
    I agree, if I was a betting man I would say ducts are undersized. Then again with insufficient info at this time I might as well go to Vegas and put a Franklin on Red
    ## + years in the field never made you a know-it-all This industry is far more diverse than you are

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinGuy View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I will get pics up when I get home. I'm in Guyton, GA (about 30 miles Northwest of Savannah). I really wish I could leave work right now and go get pics of everything, but with as hot as it is today, it won't be much fun in that attic, ha. Another thing is that I'm renting this house. I told the landlord and he's the one that sent the tech out (I was actually surprised, any other time landlords are never much help). I've tried different filters too. From the expensive to the super cheap. It seems that when I use expensive filters like the arm and hammer ones (kind of fabric-like?) it doesn't pull enough air. When I use the cheap fiberglass ones you can feel the draft from it pulling air up into it, so I've stayed with the cheap ones.
    Pics??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast