Air Handler Transformer

How can I tell if the transformer should be connected using the 208 option or the 240 option?

THe last transformer was connected using 240 by a service tech. However, it lasted about 8 days, and died last Saturday night. Got a freid to pick up a transformer from an HVAC supply. Paid a "professional " firm for the last one.

The air handler and the condenser unit both indicate 208/230. I don't know how the original transformer was connected, as I trusted the service company to connect properly. Now, after two blown transformers in the last 2 weeks, not sure they are connecting them correctly. The low voltage looks good from what I can tell, I just want to ensure that the high voltage is using the right lead.

Thanks for any suggestions. I need to know how to find out the correct option. THe condenser is an 11 year old Armstrong. Air handler is same age. Definitely worn, but they were still working. I am selling in a week, so don't want to have to replace for someone else.
    Last edited by s7220700; 08-05-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s7220700 View Post
    How can I tell if the transformer should be connected using the 208 option or the 240 option?

THe last transformer was connected using 240 by a service tech. However, it lasted about 8 days, and died last Saturday night. Got a freid to pick up a transformer from an HVAC supply for 18.00. Paid a "professional " firm 180.00 for the last one.

The air handler and the condenser unit both indicate 208/230. I don't know how the original transformer was connected, as I trusted the service company to connect properly. Now, after two blown transformers in the last 2 weeks, not sure they are connecting them correctly. The low voltage looks good from what I can tell, I just want to ensure that the high voltage is using the right lead.

Thanks for any suggestions. I need to know how to find out the correct option. THe condenser is an 11 year old Armstrong. Air handler is same age. Definitely worn, but they were still working. I am selling in a week, so don't want to have to replace for someone else.
    Most houses are 230 volt.

He is wiring it correctly, otherwise it wouldn't work before he got out of thedriveway!!

It sounds like threre is a low voltage short! Probably on the outdoor unit( if its a armstrong).
    But it could be somewhere else. good luck!

Suggestion #1, remove pricing from your post.

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    Most houses are 230 volt.
    You won't find a house with 230 Volt service in my county.
    Just because something is common in your area. Doesn't mean its the same in the whole country.

There are some areas, that homes have 3 phase service.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by s7220700 View Post
    THe last transformer was connected using 240 by a service tech. However, it lasted about 8 days, and died last Saturday night.

Call that company back.
    They didn't find the problem. They only fixed the symptom.
    Since its blowing the transformer. The new transformer would most likely be covered under their warranty.
    Then they can check for the cause.

If you just put a new transformer in. It will only go out again.
    Then the new home owners may back charge you. And you could end up with a much higher bill yet.

Please edit out the pricing, its not allowed here. Thank you.

As this is not a DIY site. You won't get any DIY instructions.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks

Hey guys. Thank you for the information. I will edit out the prices. I apologize. First post and was in a hurry. DIdn't read all the rules.

I agree with low voltage short. I am waiting for someone to arrive to help me ohm out wires. Visual inspection of the condensing unit didn't reveal any obvious wire rubs or burned components.

I found the answer to the 240 question as well. Didn't realize you couldn't answer questions like that. I will read some more posts when I have the time to get an idea of what is normally discussed.