Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vegetables of Death?

Saw it on the TV news, samonella on tomatoes and this is not the first time either. I always wash store-bought vegetables that I do not cook. Onions, toss the top layer. Head lettuce, toss top layer and check the rest for bugs. Some stuff gets peeled and other stuff gets cooked, so that don't matter. But is rinsing stuff enough? Stuff like tomatoes and loose-leaf lettuce? I generally just rinse in cold water. Is that safe?

i do the same as you do and it is a good question
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

It's best to grow your own, if you have the room and the time, I go to the store and see the strawberries they're trying to sell, they look sick compaired to mine.

I heard that story on the radio on my way to work the other day. I was eating a BLT that I picked up on my way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 41 View Post
    It's best to grow your own, if you have the room and the time, I go to the store and see the strawberries they're trying to sell, they look sick compaired to mine.
    I know you are 100% correct. Pick a little leaf lettuce and a few tomatoes off the porch and WHALAH! Instant salad! Sadly, I cannot due to being mobile/business reasons.

No plants, no pets, no,... well no nuthin else.

I get my veggies at wal-mart.

Quote Originally Posted by haustek View Post
    I heard that story on the radio on my way to work the other day. I was eating a BLT that I picked up on my way in.
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA!

Too busy eating tomatoes to worry about samonellas! I didn't order samonellas with that!

Thanks...I saw a story on 60 minutes about chicken and couldn't eat it for 3 years...now no tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Thanks...I saw a story on 60 minutes about chicken and couldn't eat it for 3 years...now no tomatoes
    I know the feeling, just thinking it should be safe if you rinse the stuff off. I dunno, when I rinse tomatoes I even rub them a little with my hands while rinsing. Not much help for lettuce. Jay41 has the best solution, but some of us do not have that option. News folks just hype the OUTBREAK! and don't tell us how to avoid it. Just ... do not .. eat ... tomatoes anymore?

strange how the media can excite the people.. wash, wash with soap, then wash some more, thats my theory, but do you trust the restaurant's and fast food service ? It's customer beware now-a-days. Just hope the media does not ruin my crop. No ca-ca in my tomatoes, Hey maybe I'll sell a few and make some profit instead of canning this year
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

I thought the same about washing but with the current scare the problem seems to be when they are processed after being picked. They are rapidly cooled which can draw contaminates on the skin into the tomato. In those cases, washing wouldn't help.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

In colonial times people would not eat tomatoes because they considered them to be poison.

It wasn't until the Mediterrian countries like Spain and Italy started to infiltrate that tomatoes became an American staple.

Poison or not, I never have like them and don't eat them. I think the leaves are poison and that is what started that problem.

Reminds me of tapioca, it's poisonous until it's cooked properly. Makes you wonder about the guy who discovered that. Hmmmmm, 'this plant has killed everyone who tried to eat it but maybe if I cook it this way, I can eat it.' Kinda like the first guy to look at a lobster and say...'That looks yummy, I think I'll eat it!'.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

I seriously doubt that washing even with soap would make much of a difference. I doubt the skin would be much af a barrier to this type of bug. Having said that, I still wash everything.

Odds of getting bad food these days are fairly slim, I like my odds. One good thing about our media driven society is word gets out fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast