Hybrid View

Seeking advice on furnace & AC replacement

I have a 20 year old CM 150,000 btu furnace (all 4 furnace pros I've had out have said it was way oversized) and a 17 year old 3 ton Miller AC in my 45 year old ranch with 1700 sq. ft. living space and 1500 sq. ft. basement in a Detroit suburb. I've been educating myself, talked to 4 HVAC pros and would rather spend more $$ up front to lower annual heating/cooling costs as I expect natural gas to keep rising. The furnace I think I'm going with is the Amana AMV90704CX, which has an AFUE of 95.5% and a 14 or 16 SEER AC, such as the ASX140361A. The company I think I'm going with is small; owner, secretary, 4 techs and they've been in business almost 30 years. He seems honest and knows his stuff and a couple of the techs have been with him 10 and 20 years. I have asked a lot of questions and have heard satisfactory answers for the most part but I have a couple concerns and would like some advice. I've read gradual curves are "required" on the pvc intake and exhaust but this guy said he uses sharp corners but uses 3 inch pvc where 2 inch is called for, as I believe my probably new furnace does. The other concern is he doesn't "strictly" use the Manual-J method of calculating the required sizes. He said he looks at home age, design, insulation, windows and uses experience. None of the 4 pros I've talked use seem to use the full Manual-J method but some modified version. Should these two concerns bother me? What other questions could I ask to insure I'm getting a good installer as I've read brand is not nearly as important as the installation. Thank you so much for such a great resource!
    Jeff

Becareful not to oversize venting to much. Could cause air turbulance and flame sensing issues. Manual J is preffered but not everyone does this.
    Do it right the first time.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Ask those that say brand is NOT a factor,what brand they sell most ofen?Think about it.

theres a good company in melvidale you may want to talk to. i used to work there til i moved to nc. id give them a call. there small and been around for 50 yrs.

3 ton for 1700 sq ft in Motown seems high! Find someone who does believe in the Manual J!

Also, what 'burb? We have some fine Detroiters on here who could service your area and do it right.

I'm in Clarkston. 3 of 4 said they'd put in a 3 ton AC while one said he'd put in a 2.5 or 3 ton.

Knott, can you name the company in Melvindale or is that against the rules?

Thanks!