Trane XLi 15 or XLi 16 3 Ton Unit?

Hi, I'm about three weeks away from finishing construction on my new home and I originally told my Trane dealer I wanted a 3 ton XLi 15 for the downstairs and a 2.5 ton XLi 15 the upstairs.

However I checked today after they were installed and I have a 3 ton XLi 16 for the downstairs unit instead of the XLi 15. Do I keep the 16 or is the 15 actually a better unit than the 16? I thought I had read on this forum where the Trane units tend to be weak on the heating side, but the XLi 15 was the exception and does very well in this area.

The air handler for the downstairs 3 ton unit in question is the 4TEE3F40A1000A.

Also I'm using the TCONT900 thermostats (XL900 series) since they are the best at controlling humidity by having the ability to slow the blower down.

I just didn't want to pay more for the XLi 16 if the XLi 15 is just as good or even better in some areas?

Thanks I appreciate any help,
    Neal

A. Trane's TCONT900 is only compatible with "C" model air handlers.

B. I personally think the XL15i is a better all-around unit than the XL16i. The XL16i does, however, have great performance (except a little low in heating) in your particular matchup. I know the XL16i, unless your installer is a wiring expert, cannot be setup to dehumidify on demand with the Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ. Whether or not this changes with the TCONT900 I do not know. It's up to you whether or not you want to keep the XL16i.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    A. Trane's TCONT900 is only compatible with "C" model air handlers.

B. I personally think the XL15i is a better all-around unit than the XL16i. The XL16i does, however, have great performance (except a little low in heating) in your particular matchup. I know the XL16i, unless your installer is a wiring expert, cannot be setup to dehumidify on demand with the Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ. Whether or not this changes with the TCONT900 I do not know. It's up to you whether or not you want to keep the XL16i. From what I've been heard, the XL16i has a poor latent capacity (humidity removal) in first stage.
    Thanks for the reply, I definitely need to verify the thermostat and air handler that was actually installed, at one point that was what I was told but that could be different than what's actually installed.

I'll check on exactly what air handler is there and the thermostat.

In you opinion what thermostat(Trane brand) and air handler would be the best combination to go with the XL15i?

Thanks,
    Neal

With the XL15i, Trane's TCONT900 if it will work or Honeywell's VisionPRO IAQ (essentially the same thing).

With the XL15i, Trane's TCONT900 if it will work or Honeywell's VisionPRO IAQ (essentially the same thing).
    Thanks!

So what would be the best air handler choice to go with a 3 ton XL15i and a TCONT900?

I'm really not up to date with Trane's TCONT900 and what it can and can't work with. I don't see any matchups with the communicating air handlers on ARI's directory. Hopefully someone can advise you in the way of this.

4TWX5036A1000AA + 4TEE3F40B1000AA = 37,400 BTU's cooling, 12.70 EER, 15.00 SEER, 9.00 HSPF, and 36,200 BTU's heating.

Thanks for all your help and input so far, and I'll see what others suggest with this combination.

4TWX5036A1000AA + 4TEE3F40B1000AA = 37,400 BTU's cooling, 12.70 EER, 15.00 SEER, 9.00 HSPF, and 36,200 BTU's heating.
    What does the 4TWX5036A1000AA model # represent? Is that the actual heat pump model number? Also is the 4TEE3F40B1000AA the air handler? I believe I was told my air handler for my 3 ton unit was 4TEE3F40A1000A. What does the A and B difference mean between this two units?

Also where can I look up this information, sorry to be asking so many basic questions.

Neal

Ask them for the ARI ref number, or a copy of the certificate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Those are just the exact model numbers for the XL15i and matching 2/4TEE air handler. The "A" and "B" represent different revisions. Some revisions can yield different performance results. Ask your dealer about your particular air handler.

Ahh, thanks guys I'll find out what my exact numbers are.

If humidity is part of your concern, just have them configure it for comfort R.