Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for heating/cooling system in Vegas

I hope I am following the rules in this post. I am currently living in Vegas. The motor went out on our condenser unit this summer (of course while I am deployed to the Middle East). We were able to get it fixed but would like to replace the AC system this winter as the system we have now is almost 12 years old and is already making a wierd noise again. I have been doing a lot of research on heat pump systems. Would this be a good way to go with the Vegas climate? If not, what kind of setup should I go with (I am not looking at DIY)?My main concern is energy conservation. Also, what is a price range that I should expect to pay? I am guessing between 6k-10k. Our house is 1300 single story. I understand that I need to have a contractor come out and run a few tests to see what size of unit I need but I am guessing it should be between a 2.5 and 3 ton unit. We currently have a gas furnace which I am guessing would need to be replaced with an air handler if I go with a heat pump. Thanks for the help.

Nate get 3 quotes and ask for company write down evrything that will be included, warranty lenghts and references if possible.

ok, thanks....I have called a few HVAC companies and all but one wanted to charge me at least $100 to come out and give me a quote? This isnt normal is it? I cant understand why they would want to charge to try and earn my business if that makes sense.

No pricing allowed. Call some more contractors. Ask your friends and neighbors for their experiences with HVAC companies. A little research and legwork on your part will save you money in the future.

as far as pricing goes, are you refering to the 'estimate fee'? I am just wondering if that is normal practice or not. If asking that question is not allowed, I will be happy to delete it.

troyorr could you send me a PM or email me, I noticed you are retired AF and have a few career questions, if you dont mind.

Nate02 this can be normal in busy times and lots of reputable companies do this. They will probably take it off the job if you go with them. Some people just like kicking tires and waisting their time.

Heat pump works great here in Vegas, not sure for how long if they keep jacking the electric rates up though.

I think a good 95% efficient furnace might come out cheaper to run.

One of our members on here installed a dual fuel unit on his house here, might be another option to consider.

Do not get a heat pump. They break down a lot and more componants to troubleshoot when they break down. Just ask for the highest seer rating possible. Do not let them talk you into a Freus unit. Cost tons of money to maintain. They use water to cool the condenser and as you know, the water in Las Vegas is very hard and will quickly destroy the unit. Stick with gas for heating.

I just looked at Las Vegas climate data and you would have to be crazy to get anything other than a heatpump.

Quote Originally Posted by THE REAL DEAL View Post
    Do not get a heat pump. They break down a lot and more componants to troubleshoot when they break down. Just ask for the highest seer rating possible. Do not let them talk you into a Freus unit. Cost tons of money to maintain. They use water to cool the condenser and as you know, the water in Las Vegas is very hard and will quickly destroy the unit. Stick with gas for heating.
    I'm not sure why would would bring up the option of water source when it wasn't even mentioned in the original post.

Heatpumps have reversing valves, crankcase heaters, and additional controls; like any other type of unit, they must be installed and serviced properly for reliable operation.

High SEER two-stage (everything 16+ seems to be two stage) condensers also are more complicated than their single stage builder's grade counterparts, but I don't see you bashing them.

Your "advice" is simply consists product bashing and unfounded blanket statements.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by THE REAL DEAL View Post
    Did the real deal get the shaft or something???

What would you recommend....AC with space heaters? Or are you a mini-split guy.....

No, wait, I got it........window shakers, ceiling fans, and a wood stove.

Nuff said.

OP, Don't let one man shine you away from heat pumps. They are not complicated at all.....especially for those who know what they are doing.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Give Nevada Air and Controls a call. Chad the owner is a Air Force veteran and being a smaller shop in the LV area his pricing is better then some of the larger guys and his work is top notch. If you contact him, tell him the crazy Australian told you to call.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Quote Originally Posted by nates02gt View Post
    troyorr could you send me a PM or email me, I noticed you are retired AF and have a few career questions, if you dont mind.
    How's Nellis these days? I was stationed there '91-'95 w/ Red Horse. Heavy Equip Operator.
    You can't fix stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast