Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane xl19i Compressor broke in two weeks

Hi guys, kind of new to the board. I live in Phoenix, AZ and just had two units installed, a 4 ton and a 2.5 ton; both xl19i units. Last night my wife and I noticed the downstairs wasn't cooling at all. I checked the air handler and it was running on its higher speed; went outside to check on the compressor. The fan was running as if the 2nd stage (higher power) was on, but I put my head down where the compressors and heard nothing So what I gather is the 2nd stage won't kick on.

So far, the contractor has been very good, the folks in the office know me by voice now, they sent a tech out first thing this morning to check on it, and after he did his assessment on everything, they'll have a new compressor to be installed tomorrow. From what I understand it's just the compressor, not the full heat pump unit outside.

When the tech was out I tried to be as inquisitive as I could, and here was his assessment: The 2nd stage compressor has some sort of malfunction internally, and his multimeter showed that it was in Locked Rotor Ampere state, or something like that. He then showed me that the side panel gave out these numbers, and they matched his multimeter.

I'm going to be a very inquisitive observer when they are replacing the unit tomorrow, and plan to ask lots of questions. Do you guys have any sort of simple checklist I can run down with the installers? Thanks ahead of time

Ask if he's replacing the start and run componets also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sorry to bump the thread so soon, but I wanted to see if there were any more inputs/checklist info before they get here early in the morning tomorrow.
    Thanks

Careful!

nosey homeowners tend to annoy technicians, especially when they are inside your unit upside down changing a compressor. let him do the job before you go asking a million questions. good luck.

it sounds like the company is on top of things ,that compressor is a real pain to replace the 19i is very tall. You can take him some cold tea or water

I agree; don't be overly nosy or peppery with questions. Things go wrong; the integrity of your installer will be proven by how they remedy this problem, more so than by a homeowner standing by with pen and pad in hand, checking off a list. That's what you hired the pros to worry about.

Understood...I don't plan to be nosy & piss them off, just want to ask the right questions. So far all I have is asking if they'll replace the Start & Run components from beenthere above.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    it sounds like the company is on top of things ,that compressor is a real pain to replace the 19i is very tall. You can take him some cold tea or water
    Yep, you'd be surprised how a little thing like a cold beverage on a hot day can improve relations with a tech that you want to question.

Two weeks old and one of the compressors fail!!!!! For what you paid for those units I would demand a whole new outdoor unit.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclown View Post
    Two weeks old and one of the compressors fail!!!!! For what you paid for those units I would demand a whole new outdoor unit.
    If you buy a new car, two weeks later there is an engine problem, do you get a new car?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Are they changing one or both compressors?

It was the 2nd stage compressor only. Took him about 3 hours total this morning.

Turns out I didn't really have to ask anything, as he showed me everything that was done. After that he made sure it ran for about 30 minutes, then checked & showed the high & low line pressures, checked to ensure the T-stats were correctly programmed, and finally checked & showed the temperature split from intake and output vents. All of this he documented and made sure I saw, which obviously made me very happy. Overall, I'm very happy with the company

xl19 uses R22

Unfortunatly for you the company failed to inform you that the XL19 uses R22 whereas the XL16 would have been a better longterm investment as it uses R410 . R22 is being taxed out of existance and by 2010 will be higher than R410. I would pay for a 10 year labor warranty ASAP and even ask for a replacement unit , the company should be replacing both compressers as they share a common circuit so moisture cross contamination could be an issue .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast