Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by glewis29 View Post
    From what my service tech told me, the new air handlers and A/C units communicate directly with each other, but a side effect of that is that they won't work with the old Trane zoning systems because they use new specs for zoning.

My thought was that if the new AH and A/C units won't work with Trane's zoning, then perhaps your installer is having trouble with the EWC system because he tried hooking it up the same way he would have for the older units. Perhaps this is what Trane meant when they said it wasn't recommended for zoning... at the time you had it installed, they hadn't provided the new zoning specs.

Again, this is just information I'm passing on from a side conversation I had with my service tech. It may explain what you're seeing, or it may be completely unrelated (as Adrian seems to think)
    The XL16i is not communicating at present the dual compressor XL19i R22 is the only present communicating Trane system.

The XL16i is a Copeland Ultra Tech painted orange with a GE stator and maybe another small mod or two per Trane.

The XL16i is 24VAC. So what the heck is all the fuss? Somebody please teach me because I truly do not understand.

Adrian, I should have said "as Adrian says" instead of "as Adrian seems to think"...they're basically the same, but the latter implies that I don't believe what you're saying, which isn't true.

I'm not arguing one way or another, I was just passing along what my service tech said, but it was probably related to the XL19i (which is what I have) and like you're saying isn't applicable.

Again, sorry to bring up something that wasn't relevant.

Hope you get it resolved NJ.

I didn't take it that way at all. I'm just baffled why the NJ H.O.'s problem hasn't been resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post

we have many 16i's here on various aftermarket zone systems working just fine. even dual fuel applications

Beach--how are you controlling fan speed and staging? with a zone panel? RU using a bypass damper or pressure sensor or are you using a 2 stage Tstat? The Trane rep said the new spec would control fan speed based on temp diff from setpoint.. r u doing that?

any advise would be GREATLY appreciated since my tech keeps telling me its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    I didn't take it that way at all. I'm just baffled why the NJ H.O.'s problem hasn't been resolved.
    Adrian...you and me both...my tech has been out 4 times...first they added freon, then second time they told me it wasn't wired right and wasn't going into 2nd stage...then because it still wasn't cooling right they forced it into 2nd stage all the time...then they removed the forced 2nd stage and adjusted the bypass dampers...seems like they are just guessing... now I called trane because the install company won't call me back..

Quote Originally Posted by njhusky View Post
    Beach--how are you controlling fan speed and staging? with a zone panel? RU using a bypass damper or pressure sensor or are you using a 2 stage Tstat? The Trane rep said the new spec would control fan speed based on temp diff from setpoint.. r u doing that?

any advise would be GREATLY appreciated since my tech keeps telling me its fine.

NJ, work with me here what you are hearing from Trane has nothing to do with the EWC Zoning !!! Trane is not going to help you with another manufacturer's zoning product period.

Adrian...you and me both...my tech has been out 4 times...first they added freon, then second time they told me it wasn't wired right and wasn't going into 2nd stage...then because it still wasn't cooling right they forced it into 2nd stage all the time...then they removed the forced 2nd stage and adjusted the bypass dampers...seems like they are just guessing... now I called trane because the install company won't call me back..
    NJ do you want to get this behind you or not? To solve the problem the zoning system needs to be set up correctly and it would be best accomplished with a heat load on site for proper zone air flow determination.

I'll say it again get a tech from the installing company or a different more competent company and if need be take advantage of the EWC Tech support which is available via an 800 number

Uncle

Adrian...I appreciate your help..I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to figure out how to solve my problem...the system is brand new...I can't justify paying another tech to fix this...and how do I know they are any better..the guys I used were recommended by family members.

I contacted trane because another tech told me the xl16i should not be zoned. If that was true, I would have a serious issue with the installing co.. I wanted to confirm from trane if this system should be zoned or not. They told me there is now a spec to do so...all I can do is go by what I am told. Does that mean trane now has a solution where before it was external..was told by other her,e the 16 doesn't take external inputs...if so, what good is a zone panel?

this seems like it should not be that hard....remember I'm just a H.O. trying to figure out what to do...trust me. this is not how i want to spend my free time

thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12