Trane xl 16i zoning update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane xl 16i zoning update

Folks

Thanks to all that helped educate me (beenthere..special thanks) about the issues regarding my zoned trane xl 16i...

I was finally able to get a response from trane...after I called the ceo's office. was directed to my regional distributor. They informed be that trane has a new zoning spec for the 16i that was just sent to my installer but they did tell me that the 16i was not recommended for zoning when I was sold my unit.

I forgot to ask for a copy of this spec...any ideas where I could find it..(i couldn't find it on the trane website

So did they tell you that the 16i is not made to be used with a zoning system? Even their own?

They said that when I bought the system in Feb it was not recommended/speced to zone the 16i. He said they now have a spec for doing it...not sure if that means they now have a zoning board...he did not say. When I asked why my contractor (that the trane rep said he knows and is very good) why I was sold the system if it wasn't supposed to be zoned, he said because the installer had been doing it will success. How can be if the system didn't accept outside inputs in the past? Am I the pain it @$$ client that wouldn't give up? the rep called me during a busy part of the day and I was not really prepared with better ?.

when/if my contractor calls me, I will post my findings

I just talked to the service guy for my trane dealer on Friday and he's pretty knowledgable about the zoning systems. He said that the current Trane zoning stuff is all getting phased out and replaced. I believe he said that right now, the new AH & A/C units won't work with the old zone systems and they don't have the new zone systems that will work with the new AH & A/C units ready yet. I'm not sure if this is what you've run into but maybe that's what they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by glewis29 View Post
    I just talked to the service guy for my trane dealer on Friday and he's pretty knowledgable about the zoning systems. He said that the current Trane zoning stuff is all getting phased out and replaced. I believe he said that right now, the new AH & A/C units won't work with the old zone systems and they don't have the new zone systems that will work with the new AH & A/C units ready yet. Maybe that's what they were talking about.
    Which should have nothing to do with using the EWC zoning product.

He didn't state which product he was using to zone, figured it was Trane as well. Sorry to muddy the waters.

He didn't state which product he was using to zone, figured it was Trane as well. Sorry to muddy the waters.
    I don't think you muddied anything. The factory folks are just narrow focused sometime and aren't totally forthcoming with info when using other manufacurer's products with their equipment.

trane doesn't want zoning on any of thier systems. i remember (about 2yrs ago) when they wanted to end warranty to any system running an aftermarket zone system.

its was probably something simple that the installer just could not figure out or understand how to get it in harmony

we have many 16i's here on various aftermarket zone systems working just fine. even dual fuel applications
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

NJ

Do you feel a breeze?

I just talked to the service guy for my trane dealer on Friday and he's pretty knowledgable about the zoning systems. He said that the current Trane zoning stuff is all getting phased out and replaced. I believe he said that right now, the new AH & A/C units won't work with the old zone systems and they don't have the new zone systems that will work with the new AH & A/C units ready yet. I'm not sure if this is what you've run into but maybe that's what they were talking about.
    Can you elaborate? I have an ewc zone board---but I've been told here that the trane xl16i does not take external inputs

NJ

Since you have EWC zoning this is not applicable. Have you even tried to get the contractor on the phone with EWC. Let us know what help you get from Trane directly. They're most likely not going to be any real help because it's not their zoing. We have a few American Standard Hertage 16s out with EWC zoning and the work great and the customers love them.

Good Luck
    Last edited by adrianf; 08-05-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    trane doesn't want zoning on any of thier systems. i remember (about 2yrs ago) when they wanted to end warranty to any system running an aftermarket zone system.

its was probably something simple that the installer just could not figure out or understand how to get it in harmony

we have many 16i's here on various aftermarket zone systems working just fine. even dual fuel applications

NJ
    Read what this gentleman is telling you here.

From what my service tech told me, the new air handlers and A/C units communicate directly with each other, but a side effect of that is that they won't work with the old Trane zoning systems because they use new specs for zoning.

My thought was that if the new AH and A/C units won't work with Trane's zoning, then perhaps your installer is having trouble with the EWC system because he tried hooking it up the same way he would have for the older units. Perhaps this is what Trane meant when they said it wasn't recommended for zoning... at the time you had it installed, they hadn't provided the new zoning specs.

Again, this is just information I'm passing on from a side conversation I had with my service tech. It may explain what you're seeing, or it may be completely unrelated (as Adrian seems to think)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast