please help... water leaking from vents

here is the problem:
    we run the ac on day 1. on day 2 we don't need it because of mild temp, however, around midday water starts to steam through the vents. so much comes out that it starts to drip and there is about a 2 feet collection of moisture on the ceiling.

the units are carrier and were installed 6 years ago. it is a flat roof house with ducting on the outside.

HELP

i have had several companies come out and no one knows what the problem is. i am in a real bind because the only way to dry the water is to run the unit. it is a bad repeating cycle.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

I would like to see a picture of the ductwork on the outside.

images

Name:  IMG_3593.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  383.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5164.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  124.0 KB

Looking up in the vent I see sheet metal, looking at the roof I see sheet metal, Is this not insulated at all?, looks like you may be accumulating condensation in the ducts. also by the looks of the ceiling sweating also you have humid outside air leaking between the ceiling some where.

could also have improper charge or low air flow causing air temperature to be to low.

i agree with obxtech, sounds like condensation forming in the ductwork...is the ductwork insulated at all?

that duct needs better insulation for one thing!!!

is the water leaking form inside the duct or condensing on the vent?
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

the ducts are insulated (1.5") and the water is coming in from the interior of the ducts. one tech did state that the air flow was not great, in some areas the differential was less than 10 degrees.

is thicker insulation required? or another solution? help please. thanks.

My guess is the compressor is continuing to run with the blower off, cooling the air so much it's right at or near dewpoint. If you have "steam" emerging from the vents, that would be a likely explanation as to why. The air is so cold it is sinking down and falling out of the vents via gravity, since there is no blower to move it around.

But...if the blower AND compressor DO shut off when you turn the system off, it's a different story. But, how you worded your post made me think this "steaming" occurred when the unit, at least it was thought, was not running.