Thread: Split system

Post Likes

Confused Split system

I have ran across a few Slit system that when you touch the discharge line it is cold and sweating and sometimes it is also frosting, and then i touch the suction and it is cool: What is up with that? And how come most of them dont come with discharge service ports? Does anybody know how to properly check if these systems are charged correctly?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Any unit I've ever worked on had suction & discharge ports. The way to check them, is a trade secret.

Post Likes
    I think he is talking about a ductless split.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1234 View Post
    Who knows, with the little bit of info we have.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1234 View Post
    Since he said no sevice port on the liquid line, I'd have to agree with you.

Post Likes
    I am talking about small 1-2 ton split systems, ductless i have worked on many models its not a specific one that's why i am asking. dont post any replies if your gonna be a @ hole about it. (trade secret) whats that all about, you call your self a professional and you've never dealt with these units? Anyway i just want to know if anybody have ever came across these units with the scenarios that i mentioned. Oh and there is no discharge service port, just suction.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ditcha21 View Post
    I am talking about small 1-2 ton split systems, ductless i have worked on many models its not a specific one that's why i am asking. dont post any replies if your gonna be a @ hole about it. (trade secret) whats that all about, you call your self a professional and you've never dealt with these units? Anyway i just want to know if anybody have ever came across these units with the scenarios that i mentioned. Oh and there is no discharge service port, just suction.
    Excuse me then. But it still smells like DIY to me.

Post Likes
    if you have only a suction port thats enough to check the ref level

Post Likes
    they have mini h/p is that it?

Post Likes
    never mind was reading it wrong

Post Likes
    I'm not a full time tech but I just started up a mini split for a co-worker (we do commercial hvac controls, computer stuff half the time)

First time I've ever put my gauges on it. Suction pulled down to about 15 psig, then slowly rise to operating pressure of 60. (R22) Is this normal? Only explanation I have is that the metering device starts out closed, then open up.

Post Likes
    As far as checking the high side... I didn't.

Post Likes
    The metering device on a mini-split is in the condenser. The small line on the outside of a mini-split is not the discharge line. Its cold because your metering device is upstream from it. All the ones Ive worked on have no high pressure port. Its freaking retarded IMO. I usually braze a saddle tap onto the outlet of the condenser, inside the condenser housing if I need to.

Post Likes
    I would call it a liquid line,not a discharge line.Remember the discharge line is between the compressor and the condenser.

Typically most mini-splits I have seen have the expansion device in the condensing unit up to 2.5tons so you would see the liquid line sweating or feel cold and they would be okay. 3Tons and up,and its in the evaporator. Not that they couldn't be otherwise ,just what I've seen.

Post Likes

No DIYs

Guys this is open form and everyone sees your replies.
    Do it right the first time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Excuse me then. But it still smells like DIY to me.
    Excuse me pal i have been working HVAC/R now for about six years, and its obvious that i could work circles around you,judging by your replies. Just say you've never worked with these units plain and simple, and if this was a DIY why would i question a discharge line sweating and service ports unless i had some knowledge about HVAC/Rm, and how a system is suppossed to operate. All i was aking is if anybody else ran across this before, and if they have an explanation?

Post Likes
    Excuse me pal i have been working HVAC/R now for about six years, and its obvious that i could work circles around you,judging by your replies. Just say you've never worked with these units plain and simple, and if this was a DIY why would i question a discharge line sweating and service ports unless i had some knowledge about HVAC/Rm, and how a system is suppossed to operate. All i was aking is if anybody else ran across this before, and if they have an explanation?
    I think the problem is that we have no idea who you are since you have no information on your background in your public profile, so most are going to assume you are a DIYer.
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

Post Likes
    I guess you told me! Take as deep breath and relax. Or do you need your diaper changed? That must have been what I smelled and not DIY. Sorry again.

Post Likes
    Hmm,

Seems to me a bunch of rules violations here.

One, calling the members names..
    Two, posting, asking for technical help in an open forum..

This thread is closed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in