Split system
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split system

Confused Split system

I have ran across a few Slit system that when you touch the discharge line it is cold and sweating and sometimes it is also frosting, and then i touch the suction and it is cool: What is up with that? And how come most of them dont come with discharge service ports? Does anybody know how to properly check if these systems are charged correctly?

Any unit I've ever worked on had suction & discharge ports. The way to check them, is a trade secret.

I think he is talking about a ductless split.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1234 View Post
    Who knows, with the little bit of info we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1234 View Post
    Since he said no sevice port on the liquid line, I'd have to agree with you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I am talking about small 1-2 ton split systems, ductless i have worked on many models its not a specific one that's why i am asking. dont post any replies if your gonna be a @ hole about it. (trade secret) whats that all about, you call your self a professional and you've never dealt with these units? Anyway i just want to know if anybody have ever came across these units with the scenarios that i mentioned. Oh and there is no discharge service port, just suction.

Quote Originally Posted by ditcha21 View Post
    I am talking about small 1-2 ton split systems, ductless i have worked on many models its not a specific one that's why i am asking. dont post any replies if your gonna be a @ hole about it. (trade secret) whats that all about, you call your self a professional and you've never dealt with these units? Anyway i just want to know if anybody have ever came across these units with the scenarios that i mentioned. Oh and there is no discharge service port, just suction.
    Excuse me then. But it still smells like DIY to me.

if you have only a suction port thats enough to check the ref level

they have mini h/p is that it?

never mind was reading it wrong

I'm not a full time tech but I just started up a mini split for a co-worker (we do commercial hvac controls, computer stuff half the time)

First time I've ever put my gauges on it. Suction pulled down to about 15 psig, then slowly rise to operating pressure of 60. (R22) Is this normal? Only explanation I have is that the metering device starts out closed, then open up.

As far as checking the high side... I didn't.

The metering device on a mini-split is in the condenser. The small line on the outside of a mini-split is not the discharge line. Its cold because your metering device is upstream from it. All the ones Ive worked on have no high pressure port. Its freaking retarded IMO. I usually braze a saddle tap onto the outlet of the condenser, inside the condenser housing if I need to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast