what she said, what do you think?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what she said, what do you think?

I had a local person over to look at my situation, what do you think of what she said?
    said that with newer central AC's I shouldn't need to undersize to dehumidify well, she said they are doing the dehumidifying part at the beginning of the cycle so there's more dehumidifying done.
    said that a heat pump is no better than just AC for dehumidifying. Somebody told me that a heat pump with heat strips would dehumidify fine at 60F. Apparently they were talking about a situation where you're running AC and using the heat strip so it doesn't ice up. I don't know why having a heat pump would be better than just having AC for that.
    But she said that if I got a heat pump, I'd have to replace the furnace, it's an older furnace. It works fine and it's quiet so I don't want to do that.
    She said the mini-splits they install don't have ducts, they're just supplying cold air in one place, mounted on a wall somewhere.
    She thought that would do fine at air conditioning my 660 sq ft upper floor. I'm skeptical about whether one outlet can dehumidify the whole place, I think you would need air circulating for that. Kitchens and bathrooms often have locally higher humidity.
    But she said I would need another mini-split for the 330 sq ft lower floor as well if I wanted to dehumidify there.
    But I've read about mini-splits that do have ducts, so maybe one of those could do the upper and lower floors. It would probably be expensive in labor to put in separate ductwork for the AC, though.
    Laura

They make a 2 and 3 zone ductless splits, one outside unit and three inside wall mount units. Most brands have a "dry-mode" to remove humidity when cooling is not needed. Most ductless splits are very quiet and are very efficient.

Remember humidity will move to the driest point, it is after all a gas.

Newer A/Cs only do more dehumidifing in the beginning of the cycle if they have a VS blower.
    Which your old furnace does not have. Nor can it be upgraded to one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Why can't it be upgraded to a VS blower? Have you seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubes110 View Post
    Yeah can't is a very strong term. I knew a guy in New Orleans that put a 427 Cobra motor in a Datsun pick-up years ago. Thing was it turned out to be a very bad idea but by Gosh he did.

well, you know how those new orleans folks are...
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Wow! Plarian, where do you find these sources of information you keep bringing up on this site?

What happened to the person who was telling you about dc blowers?

Honestly, I am not trying to be a smart@$$, but you just don't seem to comprehend very well what HVAC persons relay to you.

Instead of all of these variations of what you think you are being told by others, how about just telling us what it is you want to achieve? Trying to decipher your understanding of what someone else has tried to relay to you is really very difficult.

Just tell us what your goal is.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Yeah can't is a very strong term. I knew a guy in New Orleans that put a 427 Cobra motor in a Datsun pick-up years ago. Thing was it turned out to be a very bad idea but by Gosh he did.

But did it dehumidify good?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    But did it dehumidify good?

Actually no it made you pee your britches resulting in increased RH

Currently, their is no upgrade kit for furnaces. If you wanted to pay almost the cost of a new VS furnace install, you could do it. (You'd have to buy all the parts individual).

There is an upgrade kit for 240 volt air handlers.

Why waste money doing that, and only having a 1 year warranty at best. When you can get a whole new furnace with full warranty on all parts.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Cool

lmao you have no idea what your talking about lmao
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman1234 View Post
    They make a 2 and 3 zone ductless splits, one outside unit and three inside wall mount units. Most brands have a "dry-mode" to remove humidity when cooling is not needed. Most ductless splits are very quiet and are very efficient.

Remember humidity will move to the driest point, it is after all a gas.
    yea sure, just add more equipment to the home. equipment made in china to boot!!!
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Newer A/Cs only do more dehumidifing in the beginning of the cycle if they have a VS blower.
    Which your old furnace does not have. Nor can it be upgraded to one.
    Can the central AC use its own blower? Yes the blower on the furnace is just one speed.
    Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast