Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinGuy View Post
    Mine has water coming out of it constantly.....HVAC guy came today and said it was a little low on freon but not much. Does he just not know anything? My A/C runs ALL the time yet the house is never really cool.
    Might be time to call company number two.

I have a PVC pipe coming out of the wall right by the AC on the 1st floor of a 2 floor town home. It is always, 100% of the time it is running, dripping water. I have had the freon checked, pressures, etc, everything and it appears fine.

I also went up into the attic to check the metal pan and it is bone dry, the PVC pipe seems to be connected to the air blower unit.

I do live in Florida by the way.

So is the constant dripping normal? All my neighbors also have the constant dripping water, and I was told that the AC pulls about 1.5 gallons of water out per hour from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdomino View Post
    I have a PVC pipe coming out of the wall right by the AC on the 1st floor of a 2 floor town home. It is always, 100% of the time it is running, dripping water. I have had the freon checked, pressures, etc, everything and it appears fine.

I also went up into the attic to check the metal pan and it is bone dry, the PVC pipe seems to be connected to the air blower unit.

So is the constant dripping normal? All my neighbors also have the constant dripping water, and I was told that the AC pulls about 1.5 gallons of water out per hour from the air.

Some older designed homes have both the primary and secondary drain piping going outside. Not a great idea since it can create quite the mud puddle. But it was the design at one time.

The constant dripping is normal if it's the primary drain line. The emergency should terminate in a conspicuous location. Over a window usually, so you can see there's a problem.

Great to know guys! To my knowledge I only have that one drain pipe, and yes, it does create quite the puddle, eroding away a lot of the dirt.

The Town Home is only 3 years old, so I am guessing it was just the "cheap" way of doing things.

The Town Home is only 3 years old, so I am guessing it was just the "cheap" way of doing things.
    Different cities have different codes. You could make a "French" drain . An 18" diameter hole, 18" deep, filled with small gravel should take care of the muddy mess.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Different cities have different codes. You could make a "French" drain . An 18" diameter hole, 18" deep, filled with small gravel should take care of the muddy mess.
    Does it have to be 18" in diameter? As there is only 14" or so between the house and the A/C unit, so the hole would have to be small. The drain is dripping between the house and AC unit.

Does it have to be 18" in diameter? As there is only 14" or so between the house and the A/C unit, so the hole would have to be small. The drain is dripping between the house and AC unit.
    Don't go digging right by the house.......you want the drain away from the house, and also you could hit/damage electrical,sprinkler,plumbing whatever right by the house. You need the termination point moved and re-piped, a french drain works.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I'm sure it could be smaller. The sizes I gave were to satisfy my inspector. If you wanted to you can call 811. It's a free service to locate underground utilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12