Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking PVC pipe dripping off back of house

Hey all,
    I've got a PVC pipe sticking out of the back of my house, about halfway up (it's a 2 story house) and I believe it's got something to do with my A/C unit.

I was told, when the house was built, that if water ever drips from that pipe, then I'd better get someone to look at it pronto.

Well, it's been in 100's here in the DFW area for a week and yesterday evening (It was around 107) the thing started to leak out water for a while, then it stopped.

Is this something I should freak out about?

thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by jaypers View Post
    Hey all,
    I've got a PVC pipe sticking out of the back of my house, about halfway up (it's a 2 story house) and I believe it's got something to do with my A/C unit.

I was told, when the house was built, that if water ever drips from that pipe, then I'd better get someone to look at it pronto.

Well, it's been in 100's here in the DFW area for a week and yesterday evening (It was around 107) the thing started to leak out water for a while, then it stopped.

Is this something I should freak out about?

thank you,
    Don't freak out.It's the emergency drain line, telling you that the primary drain is stopped up. You really need to address this ASAP. If the emergency line fails, you'll be paying a few hundred in sheet rock & painting repairs.

Exactly. I do suggest an immediate service call...it could be more than the primary drain stopped up, such as stopped up by ICE, which can damage the equipment.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    Exactly. I do suggest an immediate service call...it could be more than the primary drain stopped up, such as stopped up by ICE, which can damage the equipment.
    You are correct, it could be more than just a clogged line.

definitely needs attention

I've had the same thing happen in both of my houses in the DFW area. The first reply is right on - the emergency drain line is the one that comes out of the pvc pipe on the exterior. If yours is like mine, then your primary line(s) drain into the plumbing system of the house. Mine drain through a pvc pipe in the attic that makes its way to the pipe connecting to the main drain for an upstairs bathroom.

When I had this happen, I put serious, contractor-grade drain cleaner into the primary drain line (from the a/c unit) in the attic to clear the clog. Problem solved. Depending on your setup, you might even have to cut a pvc pipe to get at it and then be ready (with a coupler & pvc primer & cement) to put it back together again.

Thanks all! I will call my HVAC guy tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by lkrav View Post
    I've had the same thing happen in both of my houses in the DFW area. The first reply is right on - the emergency drain line is the one that comes out of the pvc pipe on the exterior. If yours is like mine, then your primary line(s) drain into the plumbing system of the house. Mine drain through a pvc pipe in the attic that makes its way to the pipe connecting to the main drain for an upstairs bathroom.

When I had this happen, I put serious, contractor-grade drain cleaner into the primary drain line (from the a/c unit) in the attic to clear the clog. Problem solved. Depending on your setup, you might even have to cut a pvc pipe to get at it and then be ready (with a coupler & pvc primer & cement) to put it back together again.
    You might have cleared the clog , but if you've got a metal pan, you could have done some damage to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypers View Post
    Thanks all! I will call my HVAC guy tonight!
    You might want to call TODAY.

eeek

ya that would suck if your roof caved in saw that happen before

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jb00gz View Post
    ya that would suck if your roof caved in saw that happen before
    Roof should be fine but the ceiling might cave in. Yes, get an AC tech out to diagnose the problem and make needed repair. Could be a plugged primary but could also be the coil iceing up.

Quote Originally Posted by cep a/c View Post
    Roof should be fine but the ceiling might cave in. Yes, get an AC tech out to diagnose the problem and make needed repair. Could be a plugged primary but could also be the coil iceing up.
    Got my HVAC guy to come tomorrow. (He's pretty busy, wonder why?)
    I thought it might be icing too, since it only spurted out water for a few minutes, then stopped all together.

One last note, likely wouldn't hurt to shut the system off until he can make it out.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Mine has water coming out of it constantly.....HVAC guy came today and said it was a little low on freon but not much. Does he just not know anything? My A/C runs ALL the time yet the house is never really cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast