Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    Funny thing is that is true and misleading at the same time.

It is misleading b/c freon is not directly causing that. And one of the ironic things is that one of the gases causing that smog is Ozone or O3.

But at the same time if china allows there cities to look like that. They are surely not enforcing the freon laws, and the freon that doesnt react to the lower man made ozone is getting to the bigger ozone.

Factory caused pollution similar to that was a factor in the white flight of the 50's.
    You know. I had a discussion with a chemist about the chlorine in freon and what is used in swimming pool. He tried to tell me the chlorine in the pool was different than what is in freon. I asked him why the chemical formula is the same for both. He had no answer. He started on the man made ozone and the natural ozone. I said you mean O3. He got mad and walked away. Believe what you will I think they screwed up on what is causing ozone depletion. But that would mean the government was wrong and would have to remove the taxes they imposed on freon. Yeah right the government admit they where wrong and remove taxes! COLD DAY IN HE**

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    You know. I had a discussion with a chemist about the chlorine in freon and what is used in swimming pool. He tried to tell me the chlorine in the pool was different than what is in freon. I asked him why the chemical formula is the same for both. He had no answer. He started on the man made ozone and the natural ozone. I said you mean O3. He got mad and walked away. Believe what you will I think they screwed up on what is causing ozone depletion. But that would mean the government was wrong and would have to remove the taxes they imposed on freon. Yeah right the government admit they where wrong and remove taxes! COLD DAY IN HE**
    Rather or not the government is wrong about how the ozone is getting depleted. Or will be proven wrong, I dont know. But i am 90% positive that they are not wrong for the reasons stated in this thread.

The Chlorine in CFCs is lighter then air and will break up Ozone cause the bound between the third Oxygen and the other two is a weak one. Clorine is balances it self by reacting to other atoms. One of them is Oxygen. I dont know why the chemist didnt know this is basic chem.

Man made ozone is smog and is caused everytime a spark hits the air.

I am not fighting over rather global warming or ozone depletion stuff i am just talking about the chemistry involved. The hard questions the skeptics ask has more to do with the physics, does this stuff get there and stay their long enought to do damage.
    Last edited by FlatTire; 08-07-2008 at 07:43 PM.

chlorine in freon and what is used in swimming pool. He tried to tell me the chlorine in the pool was different than what is in freon. I asked him why the chemical formula is the same for both. He had no answer. He started on the man made ozone and the natural ozone.
    Those two statements i know are way off. The formula for Pool chlorine is Ca(CIO)2 or Calcuim Hypochorite. One Calcium atom with two Hypochlorites or chlorine with Oxygen attached to it.

CFC's are chlorofluorocarbons, variations on the number of Chlorine flourine and Carbon atoms that make molecules we use to cool stuff that.

HCFC is the same thing with a hydrogen atom on it.

Pool cleaner is not a danger to Ozone cause it has a Oxygen attach to it. And it is a liquid.

Man made Ozone is a problem cause it is down here and it mostly stays on this level Natural ozone is where it one of the last layers of atmosphere before space.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    Those two statements i know are way off. The formula for Pool chlorine is Ca(CIO)2 or Calcuim Hypochorite. One Calcium atom with two Hypochlorites or chlorine with Oxygen attached to it.

CFC's are chlorofluorocarbons, variations on the number of Chlorine flourine and Carbon atoms that make molecules we use to cool stuff that.

HCFC is the same thing with a hydrogen atom on it.

Pool cleaner is not a danger to Ozone cause it has a Oxygen attach to it. And it is a liquid.

Man made Ozone is a problem cause it is down here and it mostly stays on this level Natural ozone is where it one of the last layers of atmosphere before space.
    OK. I give. I flunked chemistry.

OK. I give. I flunked chemistry.
    Yeah i miss chemistry, this thread almost made me want to go back to college.

You guys are smart!
    Wonder what Twilli says about the topic?
    For me, if there's a leak and its indoors. I will find it for yours and my own safety. I have actually been knocked out by it. Woke up with a broken front tooth and a busted face. Oxygen Deprivation!

Except R22 has a specific gravity of 3.08 and R12 (Freon) has a specific gravity of 4.26, making them heavier than air (specific gravity of 1), at 70 degrees F., at least until the wind currents stir them around.

Devil's advocate: EPA regs require leak repair on comfort-cooling appliances containing more than 50 lbs of refrigerant when the leak rate annually exceeds 15%. If the appliance pictured in this thread has an R22 i.v., but is leaking less than 15%, does this violate the reg? Or does this fall under "knowingly release (vent) CFC's or HCFC's while repairing..."? And if it contains less than 50 lbs, what's the difference between topping off the unit every so often and hooking up an i.v. ?

I am pretty sure that if some one has hooked up a rig to refill itself when it gets low. Is a good sign of knowingly releasing refer. And besides that, they are not fixing the unit, just fixing up their schedule so they don't have to come back as much.

Hell the whole set up would last even longer if they used 150# cylinders.

Now there are more structured rules about this. The EPA is going to start requiring records of refer loss. It is because of the records of R22 sold from 1992 and now. Only about ten percent has been recovered.
    Now they are going to begin (and have been) selling recycled refer and there just is not much there to sell as recycled.

Don't ask me for records, I went to a class on the phase out of R 22. This was one of the discussions we talked about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123