Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best time of year to get new HVAC system

Is there an "off-season" for HVAC installs? I'm looking to replace a 17-yr old furnace and a/c. Nothing wrong with it yet, so I can time my purchase to get the best deal. I have read that later winter/early spring is a good time (March-April). Is this true? What about the fall, when we're sort of in-between summer heat and the winter cold? And can I expect to pay less if I go off-season, or will I just get more attention from the contractors because they have more time on their hands? Thanks.

I can't see the install costing a whole lot less. But you're correct, it's a whole lot easier to work in an attic when it's cooler.

It does not matter to me what time of the year, its all the same to me I do them in the day I start early and trust me if its an attic and its hot i will be done by noon in there, then ill do the out side, and thats how all contractors are.. the world in hvac does not stop for extream temps we just adjust to it . if you think you are going to get a better deal in fall or spring, your not they will tell you you are if they think thats what you whant to hear, so good luck with that,,

There's just not enough wiggle room in HVAC system installs to have real discount times. Once in a while the manufacturer's of certain brands will have a bit of a sale to the contractors that the contractor may pass on to the consumer, but when those sales are going to happen is anyone's guess.

During the anticipated down times, most contractors use these times to get away for vacation. I'm not sure I'd want to make getting a contractor who is financially desperate a criteria for my choosing when to have a system installed either. You might get a little more attention to your install during slow times, but if what you want is a cheap install, that is most likely what you will get.

See you after the install
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

With the price of copper and refrigerant on the rise I would advise you not to drag your feet on purchaseing a new unit. I don't think the price of a new unit will be on the decline any time in the near future.

chances are you are gonna squeeze at least 6 more years outta that 17 year old money pit. Then guess what? Its gonna break on the hottest or coldest night of the year. And you're probably gonna have to wait at least a week (or more) for a contractor to squeeze you in his already busy schedule.

Do yourself a favor, don't wait!!! Change it out now before it tears up!!

Quote Originally Posted by eetechster View Post
    It does not matter to me what time of the year, its all the same to me I do them in the day I start early and trust me if its an attic and its hot i will be done by noon in there, then ill do the out side, and thats how all contractors are.. the world in hvac does not stop for extream temps we just adjust to it . if you think you are going to get a better deal in fall or spring, your not they will tell you you are if they think thats what you whant to hear, so good luck with that,,
    What part of the world do you live in? I don't think it's Houston TX. The time of year matters to me. But that could be age getting the better of me.

The best time is now while it is still working so you can take you time choosing the contractor so you dont have to rush in to it,good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    What part of the world do you live in? I don't think it's Houston TX. The time of year matters to me. But that could be age getting the better of me.
    hell yeah time of year matters in south louisiana,to every contractor,its hot in the attic at 8:00
    but like tiger said,equipment is not getting any cheaper,so...............
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC2B View Post
    hell yeah time of year matters in south louisiana,to every contractor,its hot in the attic at 8:00
    but like tiger said,equipment is not getting any cheaper,so...............
    True. But I don't for see a fifty percent increase ,five or ten, possible. To me it's a no brainier. A man asks me if I'd rather hang out in his attic in the summer or winter, guess which I prefer?

There are seasonal promotions.

In some areas the fall and spring have slow downs that soem contractors will give a discount.

Does that apply to your area, can't tell you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Appreciate all the responses. I live in St. Louis, MO area, and my furnace is down in an unfinished basement, and the a/c is outside. So I don't have the attic heat issue to deal with where I am.

So it sounds like the sooner the better, or at least when I don't have a broken unit that I am desperate to get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Otterpops View Post
    Appreciate all the responses. I live in St. Louis, MO area, and my furnace is down in an unfinished basement, and the a/c is outside. So I don't have the attic heat issue to deal with where I am.

So it sounds like the sooner the better, or at least when I don't have a broken unit that I am desperate to get fixed.

Sooner the better. The price of metal is only going to get higher.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast