How to lower fan speed on Ducane HVAC?

My wife and I just moved into our house; the A/C works great and cools off the house but the air intake vent in the living room is really loud, so much so that it drowns out the TV with the volume way up. My guess is that a solution might be to lower the fan speed, but I'm not sure how to do that.

It is a DUCANE HVAC system, not sure the model number. Any help or other suggestions for quieting it down would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

You need to have a tech , check the Capacity of your a/c and set cfm (fan speed) accordingly have them look at possible sound deadening within the duct at that time.

Sorry, it's not as simple as changing the blower speed; the excessive noise could be caused by undersized ducts or vents. Reducing airflow could have dire consequences. (High utility bills, compressor failure, heat exchanger failure, furnace cycling on high limit, etc.)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Easiest & cheapest way to solve this problem is to turn the tv up more.

As already stated, this is not a matter of just changing the blower speed. If your system is already providing the proper amount of air for the cooling capacity of the system, then reducing the amount of air could cause major problems with your system freezing up. By freezing up, I mean literally turning the inside coil of your system into a block of ice. This is a bad thing.

What you are hearing could be air noise, or it could be sound being transmitted through your duct system from the blower itself. If it is air noise, a larger return ducting and/or grill may do the trick or an addition return ducted somewhere may reduce the air sound.

If what you are hearing is the blower itself, there are ways to deaden the sound transmission from inside of the ducting. Each case is different, so there is no way to give any advice on your particular situation.

Rather then doing hit and run testing that may result in more problems then you have, why not call a few contractors until you get one who will listen to your specific problem and sounds like they may be able to help you?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV