Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinion on Dri-CrawlSpace dehumidifier (vs. Santa Fe)?

Posted this in Residential HVAC, but think it might better here:

Can't find many reviews or opinions on this this thing except what's on their website: http://www.crawlspacedehumidifiers.com

Wondering how it compares to the Santa Fe Advance for my 1700 sq ft crawl. I need about 25 pints/day.

TIA

Where did you get the 25 pint per day load from? What you want for %RH level? In green grass climates and typical fresh air leaks, better to 35-40 pints per day of real moisture removal. This suggest a 65-90 pint dehu. To check efficiency, for a rough guide refer to full load amps at 80^F, 60%RH. For capacity, 66% of the 80F,60%RH rating. I work for Santa Fe. We have refined the design over 18 years. They are very reliable and efficient. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Got the pint info from here: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._dehumidifiers

Crawl space is currently over 80&#37; RH.

TB - I would like to know your opinion on the following comparison chart: Removed link

Obviously, very one-sided, so since you work for Santa Fe, I thought you could give me your take on some of the negative comments claimed about the Santa Fe. I'm trying to decide which one to go with.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Stamas; 10-15-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: removed link

These guys are cute. They slam the best rated dehuss made. Both the units you ask about are higher capacity than theirs. I could not find a energy star rating on them. Both units you ask about have simple straight forward air defrost. When the crawlspaces are very cold, dehumidification is not required. These better units go in a non-energy consuming mode. The wait for the temperature to go above 55^F and then resume operation. This extends their service life and save a tremendous amount of energy. We have been making high eff. commercial grade dehus for 18 years. We are not the cheapest but are the best. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Thanks for taking the time to respond TB. I'm going to go with the Santa Fe as it is a more proven product and worth the extra cost IMO.

So for my crawl - 1700 sq ft, avg ht 3 feet, so 5100 su ft - would the Compact suffice? Humidity in July/August is about 75-80% down there.

The SF Compact is a 25% less efficient dehu than the SF Advance. About 25 Less pints per day capacity. Crawlspace dehus also absorb some moisture from the rest of home. I suggest the larger more efficient unit if you can afford and have room. If space or money are an issue, the SF Compact will handle the space. Keep us posted. TB

I called for a product brochure and pricelist-you'll take care of us-right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    I called for a product brochure and pricelist-you'll take care of us-right?
    If we do not, you know my email address. Keep us posted. Regards TB

Crawlspace and Basement Dehumidifier

Aprilaire Model 1710A Crawlspace and Basement Dehumidifier has 90 pints capacity, should handle your needs.

Why is the crawl space damp in the first place?
    Always here

probably cause in like my area, I was required to have 10 crawl vents and I live in humid environment. 1st year in my new house, my ducts sweat and I had a hard time keeping my humidity down in the house. I sealed off my crawl vents. Problem solved.

But to the OP you want to find where and how moisture is entering your crawl, whether it be air infiltration a grading issue or what prior to just putting a dehum under your house.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Yes seal off those vents. Don't know why anyone would want to run an electrical appliance that consumes energy 24/7.
    Always here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast