Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
    Sure thing. As soon as I get home and can get the numbers off the unit. Also my evap is only 4 months old. It was replaced in April of this year.

Im not sure what model outside unit it is but he told me it was a Rudd 2.5 Ton system that is all copper instead of aluminum and comes with a 5 year warranty. He has does alot of work for folks here at work and they have all been satisfied with his work.
    Ruud may not honor the warranty on a mismatched system. Hopefully the indoor coil is a manufacturer-supported match.

Quote Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
    Good news. Partially....

I talked to my friend at work and he stated that after going through all the hoops of getting just the compressor replaced it wouldnt be worth it. I decided to replace the whole outside unit since my Evap coil is just 4 months old. A little more than I wanted to spend but at least it will come with a 5 year warranty.

Thanks for all the input guys.
    Good decision. Check on the warranty, could be a ten year.

Thanks for the help guys. Here is the part # for my newly installed evap ( 4 months ago )....CNRVT3617ATAABAA. Picture at the link below

[img=http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6900/cimg2913mo5.th.jpg]

Picture of my outside unti specs.

[img=http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6615/cimg2915yh8.th.jpg]

Im still not sure what model outside unit I am getting but I will definately make sure it us a approved evap to use with it.

Okay, you have a Carrier R-22 tin-plated copper coil inside. I believe these have a 10-year limited warranty. Install a Carrier 24ACR336 or 24ABR336 and you should be good to go--that's an ARI-approved match. You have a 3 ton outside now, not a 2.5 ton.

And of course, before putting a new unit in, it would be prudent to figure out why the old compressor went out.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Okay, you have a Carrier R-22 tin-plated copper coil inside. I believe these have a 10-year limited warranty. Install a Carrier 24ACR336 or 24ABR336 and you should be good to go--that's an ARI-approved match. You have a 3 ton outside now, not a 2.5 ton.

And of course, before putting a new unit in, it would be prudent to figure out why the old compressor went out.
    It was a Millennium. They almost never lasted past the warranty period. Carrier gave Copelands for replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post

The dirty condenser coils in the second picture may have been a contributing factor...

Keep those coils CLEAN, folks! It's your money you're throwing away if you don't!

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    The dirty condenser coils in the second picture may have been a contributing factor...

Keep those coils CLEAN, folks! It's your money you're throwing away if you don't!

Your right. When I bought this house used a year ago I cleaned the condensor but I guess I neglected the back side closest to the slab.

So from what you guys are saying is that my evap wont work with any other system besides a carrier?

Might work, might not. You won't know the efficiency and capacity for sure, and you could also run into warranty issues due to the mismatch. The match won't be rated or recommended by the manufacturer. Best thing to do is stick with Carrier.

These are all good points to bring up to my a/c guy tomorrow. From what he told me today was that when you buy a carrier that your just paying for a name.

He advised me to go with the Ruud because they are better and who really cares about a name. As far as pressures go the Evap is rated at 300 so I dont think there should be any problem there. But yeah....I will ask him all these questions for sure tomorrow.

Being how i told him it was a 2.5 ton unit but thanks to you guys I found out it was a 3 ton, that means more money out of pocket for me. Although it generally shouldnt be that much more.

it will work , but a matched system is better.

Good read right here about my exact situation.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu60guZ...26d=1216554371

If a carrie runit isnt that much more than the Ruud I will go with the carrier.

So...who put in your new (4 month old) evaporator coil?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

That's a different situation, though. Your indoor coil is presumably a 13 SEER, and the outdoor unit would also be 13 SEER. Matching is important nonetheless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast