Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressor acting strange....noises and hissing

Post Likes

Compressor acting strange....noises and hissing

Hi guys. Need some advice here before I go drop a wad of cash on getting this fixed. My Carrier unit 2.5 ton, 7 years old. The compressor started making a really odd noise kinda like really loud tapping. I shut it off for about 5 mins. I ran it again and now the compressor makes a hissing noise. Is this thing shot?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
    Hi guys. Need some advice here before I go drop a wad of cash on getting this fixed. My Carrier unit 2.5 ton, 7 years old. The compressor started making a really odd noise kinda like really loud tapping. I shut it off for about 5 mins. I ran it again and now the compressor makes a hissing noise. Is this thing shot?
    Yes

Post Likes
    Thats what I feared. Its a Carlyle Millenium compressor. Im hoping I can find another and get it replaced by a friend at work that has a license.

Post Likes
    Thats what I feared. Its a Carlyle Millenium compressor. Im hoping I can find another and get it replaced by a friend at work that has a license.
    Those compressors never really lasted. I'm surprized it worked this long. But, have it checked out first. Shouldn't be any problem finding a replacement for it.

Post Likes
    Bene trying to find one online. Same model and such but not having any luck. I see you rfrom Houston. Im in Austin myself.

Post Likes
    Better let the professional replace the comp.

You will likely end up asking a lot more questions if you don't.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Better let the professional replace the comp.

You will likely end up asking a lot more questions if you don't.

One of the maintenance guys ( licensed ) where I work does this kind of work on the side. He's come out and helped me before. Im pretty sure he will com eout and replace it for me but I'll have to come up with the compressor. What brand should I go with instead of the Carlyle?

Post Likes
    One of the maintenance guys ( licensed ) where I work does this kind of work on the side. He's come out and helped me before. Im pretty sure he will com eout and replace it for me but I'll have to come up with the compressor. What brand should I go with instead of the Carlyle?
    Copeland.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Copeland.

Thanks. Now I just have to find one that isnt going to cost me alot of cash.

Post Likes
    I'll be watching and placing a bid on this compressor through ebay. Hopefully this will hold me over for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1-2-Ton-Copela...ayphotohosting

My evap is new. It was installed in April.
    Last edited by atxjax; 08-03-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: egay link

Post Likes
    I'll be watching and placing a bid on this compressor through ebay. Hopefully this will hold me over for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1-2-Ton-Copela...ayphotohosting

My evap is new. It was installed in April.
    You do know that you'll have about 1/2 the cost of a new unit, with only at the best, a one year warranty, if any, when you buy off e-bay. But if money's tight, do what ya gotta do. Looking at that compressor, I'd say it's used. I think you're making a bad choice. Get one in town if you can.

Post Likes
    You do know that you'll have about 1/2 the cost of a new unit, with only at the best, a one year warranty, if any, when you buy off e-bay. But if money's tight, do what ya gotta do. Looking at that compressor, I'd say it's used. I think you're making a bad choice. Get one in town if you can.

Thanks for the help. I wanna get this thing running OK to make it through the summer this year. If I have probalem again spring of next year I will replace the whole HVAC since mine is only a 10 SEER and I was counting on doing it anyway sometime soon.

The Auction says its new but your right. You never know what you get on ebay. There are a few of them on ebay that Ive seen. That one happens to be the lowest cost one.

Post Likes
    Time for an intermission song; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZm7KQJT1o
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    it could be hissing due to a change in pressure, I would let a pro look at it and see if it can be repaird your comp might not be the problum. causing it to do that. let some one look at it and then deside, copland is a scroll, manny co have them in thier product if your smart, you will get one of them with a good warentee. if you cant repair it,

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help. I wanna get this thing running OK to make it through the summer this year. If I have probalem again spring of next year I will replace the whole HVAC since mine is only a 10 SEER and I was counting on doing it anyway sometime soon.

The Auction says its new but your right. You never know what you get on ebay. There are a few of them on ebay that Ive seen. That one happens to be the lowest cost one.
    What happens if the compressor is DOA? Who pays for shipping(both ways?) You're opening a can of worms best left closed. But, you have been warned.By the time you pay for shipping, the correct run cap,and all the little things to complete this project, you'll have close to the cost of a new unit. But, Good Luck

Post Likes
    What happens if the compressor is DOA? Who pays for shipping(both ways?) You're opening a can of worms best left closed. But, you have been warned.By the time you pay for shipping, the correct run cap,and all the little things to complete this project, you'll have close to the cost of a new unit. But, Good Luck

Thanks for the tips. I will definately talk to my buddy tomorrow and see if he can get a deal on a new one instead.

BTW......I know a source where I can get run caps on the cheap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Time for an intermission song; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZm7KQJT1o
    lol

Post Likes
    Thanks for the tips. I will definately talk to my buddy tomorrow and see if he can get a deal on a new one instead.

BTW......I know a source where I can get run caps on the cheap.
    I did my apprenticeship in Austin. I know your friend can get a compressor there. The run cap is the least thing to worry about. You won't be sorry if you buy locally. If there should be a problem, at least you can speak to a "live" person, and not play email tag.

Post Likes

Why not get from a supplier in Austin Tx

Im going out on a limb here , if you get it from E-bay whats the warranty, when you have 1 Yr from the supply house and close to home ?
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derbysr View Post
    Im going out on a limb here , if you get it from E-bay whats the warranty, when you have 1 Yr from the supply house and close to home ?
    That's what I'm thinking. The warranty would be from the seller. If you get any at all. Then there's all the down time shipping back and forth.It really isn't worth it. How much do you think you save in the long run? Well, that's not enough. Support your local economy. You'll be glad you did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in