Results 1 to 13 of 47

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    38

    Compressor acting strange....noises and hissing

    Hi guys. Need some advice here before I go drop a wad of cash on getting this fixed. My Carrier unit 2.5 ton, 7 years old. The compressor started making a really odd noise kinda like really loud tapping. I shut it off for about 5 mins. I ran it again and now the compressor makes a hissing noise. Is this thing shot?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
    Hi guys. Need some advice here before I go drop a wad of cash on getting this fixed. My Carrier unit 2.5 ton, 7 years old. The compressor started making a really odd noise kinda like really loud tapping. I shut it off for about 5 mins. I ran it again and now the compressor makes a hissing noise. Is this thing shot?
    Yes

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    38
    Thats what I feared. Its a Carlyle Millenium compressor. Im hoping I can find another and get it replaced by a friend at work that has a license.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
    Thats what I feared. Its a Carlyle Millenium compressor. Im hoping I can find another and get it replaced by a friend at work that has a license.
    Those compressors never really lasted. I'm surprized it worked this long. But, have it checked out first. Shouldn't be any problem finding a replacement for it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    38
    Bene trying to find one online. Same model and such but not having any luck. I see you rfrom Houston. Im in Austin myself.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    N.E. Ok.
    Posts
    1,371
    Better let the professional replace the comp.

    You will likely end up asking a lot more questions if you don't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Better let the professional replace the comp.

    You will likely end up asking a lot more questions if you don't.

    One of the maintenance guys ( licensed ) where I work does this kind of work on the side. He's come out and helped me before. Im pretty sure he will com eout and replace it for me but I'll have to come up with the compressor. What brand should I go with instead of the Carlyle?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
    One of the maintenance guys ( licensed ) where I work does this kind of work on the side. He's come out and helped me before. Im pretty sure he will com eout and replace it for me but I'll have to come up with the compressor. What brand should I go with instead of the Carlyle?
    Copeland.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event