Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Compressor acting strange....noises and hissing

Hi guys. Need some advice here before I go drop a wad of cash on getting this fixed. My Carrier unit 2.5 ton, 7 years old. The compressor started making a really odd noise kinda like really loud tapping. I shut it off for about 5 mins. I ran it again and now the compressor makes a hissing noise. Is this thing shot?

Quote Originally Posted by atxjax View Post
    Hi guys. Need some advice here before I go drop a wad of cash on getting this fixed. My Carrier unit 2.5 ton, 7 years old. The compressor started making a really odd noise kinda like really loud tapping. I shut it off for about 5 mins. I ran it again and now the compressor makes a hissing noise. Is this thing shot?
    Yes

Thats what I feared. Its a Carlyle Millenium compressor. Im hoping I can find another and get it replaced by a friend at work that has a license.

Thats what I feared. Its a Carlyle Millenium compressor. Im hoping I can find another and get it replaced by a friend at work that has a license.
    Those compressors never really lasted. I'm surprized it worked this long. But, have it checked out first. Shouldn't be any problem finding a replacement for it.

Bene trying to find one online. Same model and such but not having any luck. I see you rfrom Houston. Im in Austin myself.

Better let the professional replace the comp.

You will likely end up asking a lot more questions if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Better let the professional replace the comp.

You will likely end up asking a lot more questions if you don't.

One of the maintenance guys ( licensed ) where I work does this kind of work on the side. He's come out and helped me before. Im pretty sure he will com eout and replace it for me but I'll have to come up with the compressor. What brand should I go with instead of the Carlyle?

One of the maintenance guys ( licensed ) where I work does this kind of work on the side. He's come out and helped me before. Im pretty sure he will com eout and replace it for me but I'll have to come up with the compressor. What brand should I go with instead of the Carlyle?
    Copeland.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Copeland.

Thanks. Now I just have to find one that isnt going to cost me alot of cash.

I'll be watching and placing a bid on this compressor through ebay. Hopefully this will hold me over for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1-2-Ton-Copela...ayphotohosting

My evap is new. It was installed in April.
    Last edited by atxjax; 08-03-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: egay link

I'll be watching and placing a bid on this compressor through ebay. Hopefully this will hold me over for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1-2-Ton-Copela...ayphotohosting

My evap is new. It was installed in April.
    You do know that you'll have about 1/2 the cost of a new unit, with only at the best, a one year warranty, if any, when you buy off e-bay. But if money's tight, do what ya gotta do. Looking at that compressor, I'd say it's used. I think you're making a bad choice. Get one in town if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    You do know that you'll have about 1/2 the cost of a new unit, with only at the best, a one year warranty, if any, when you buy off e-bay. But if money's tight, do what ya gotta do. Looking at that compressor, I'd say it's used. I think you're making a bad choice. Get one in town if you can.

Thanks for the help. I wanna get this thing running OK to make it through the summer this year. If I have probalem again spring of next year I will replace the whole HVAC since mine is only a 10 SEER and I was counting on doing it anyway sometime soon.

The Auction says its new but your right. You never know what you get on ebay. There are a few of them on ebay that Ive seen. That one happens to be the lowest cost one.

Time for an intermission song; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZm7KQJT1o
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast