Cooling my garage

Great forum. This is my first post so here it goes.

I have an oversize three car garage that gets really hot & humid in the NC heat. I would like to add A/C in it. I was thinking about these http://www.fujitsugeneral.com.au/com...jitsu-general/ units. What are your thought of them? Can the blower part of the unit be installed in the foundation or does it have to be in the wall of the house to the garage? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, how big will the unit need to be?

Thanks

Those type of units would be perfect I'd think.

I've installed a lot of Mr Slims (Mitsubishi) variety and they work great.

As for the sizing, best thing to do would have a contractor come out, size it and give you an estimate. There's several variables that go into sizing equipment, but I'll admit it's much more slack since it'll be in a garage vs a living area.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

those units are pretty decent. I have installed some like that and all of them were on the wall.
    As far as sizing the unit, I don't think manual J is necessary because not a living space for your house.
    I know here in az, we go by 400 to 430CFM per ton of cooling. so if ur garage is 900sqft for example, 900/430=2.09 ton so you would need a 2 ton system.
    900/400=2.25 so again 2 or 2.5 ton unit. it depends if your garage is well insulated and seals good when you close that door. the unit itself is not very big. neither is the condenser outside.

also forgot to say, I tend to prefer the mitsubishi brand for those mini split systems. make sure your contractor installs it properly. I know these system can not exceed 50 ft of lineset so try to get the condenseer as close to the blower as possible. any 90degree elbows in the line set counts as 10 or 5 feet. good luck

You would still want a heat loss/heat gain done on the garage. If you put too big of a unit in, it can lead to short cycling. Ductless mini splits are the way to go. The air handler is mounted on the wall, and has a slim profile. I would stick to one of the major brands, Samsung, Sanyo, Mitsubishi, Daikon. Tech support is much better on these systems.

Ditto,they will even heat the garage to

Go for it!
    Fujitsu wins hands down in the efficiency race at least with their IAQ inverter units. And go with the biggest one you can afford, for fast cool down and warm up. Meaning, get the heat pump model. Being inverter controlled, short cycling is a non issue, it'll just slow down to meet the load.
    My two car garage has a two ton Daikin in it (it was before the nice Fujistu inverters were available), and it works flawlessly. You really can't go oversize with an inverter system in this application.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
    Great forum. This is my first post so here it goes.

I have an oversize three car garage that gets really hot & humid in the NC heat. I would like to add A/C in it. I was thinking about these http://www.fujitsugeneral.com.au/com...jitsu-general/ units. What are your thought of them? Can the blower part of the unit be installed in the foundation or does it have to be in the wall of the house to the garage? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, how big will the unit need to be?

Thanks