Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wink Please let me in!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Your 15 posts don't need to be anything spectacular. Hell, just ramble a little about yourself or post how you have always admired me and that is why you want to be a pro-member
    We'll be looking forward to your application. Try to include a copy of your cfc cert.
    I just realized that I have 14 posts here. So I'm going to take RoBoTeq's advice and let him know how much I admire him and that he's my idol and that is the biggest reason I would like to be considered for pro membership.

Quote Originally Posted by mldncx1 View Post
    I just realized that I have 14 posts here. So I'm going to take RoBoTeq's advice and let him know how much I admire him and that he's my idol and that is the biggest reason I would like to be considered for pro membership.

oh no
    here we go another ROBO follower this place is turning into a ROBO CULT

robo for President!!

Thanks guys for your help, i will replace it for sure if i am around that area and if I'm not for sure in a week or two. How many post those this make? lol

Stock 440's & be Right Either Way

Robo & me agree on nearly everything, Robo for president.

I also totally agree with beenthere & mark beiser, the real difference between 370-volt & 440-volt capacitors is that 440's have more insulation to withstand possible 440-volts.

I always stocked 440's in the various MFD ratings, makes you right either way, when replacing 370's. There is NO reason to condemn anyone replacing a better insulated 440 for a 370-volt capacitor. - Darrell

Who's this Robo guy
    Not what it use to be

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Robo & me agree on nearly everything, Robo for president.

I also totally agree with beenthere & mark beiser, the real difference between 370-volt & 440-volt capacitors is that 440's have more insulation to withstand possible 440-volts.

I always stocked 440's in the various MFD ratings, makes you right either way, when replacing 370's. There is NO reason to condemn anyone replacing a better insulated 440 for a 370-volt capacitor. - Darrell
    Well put. I couldn't agree more.

I only stock 440 caps in my truck. The voltage rating is what the capacitor is rated for, nothing more. When stocking a service van, your goal is to have the most usable parts you can possibly carry.

So your system you worked on is more than likely a 208V or 240V system, so either cap will work.

And if your boss is that stingy, maybe you need to log onto this site and let him get educated a little bit. We'll put him in his place.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Educated

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Well put. I couldn't agree more.

I only stock 440 caps in my truck. The voltage rating is what the capacitor is rated for, nothing more. When stocking a service van, your goal is to have the most usable parts you can possibly carry.

So your system you worked on is more than likely a 208V or 240V system, so either cap will work.

And if your boss is that stingy, maybe you need to log onto this site and let him get educated a little bit. We'll put him in his place.
    Well I just got an education. I always thought it was the output to the compressor on heavy load. Thanks for the info. Never bothered checking my assumption.

Goes to prove when you think you seen it all. There is always something that will make you take your hat off, scratch your head and say it ain't supposed to do that.
    Last edited by meoberry; 08-03-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Well I just got an education. I always thought it was the output to the compressor on heavy load. Thanks for the info. Never bothered checking my assumption.

Goes to prove when you think you seen it all. There is always something that will make you take your hat off, scratch your head and say it ain't supposed to do that.
    The voltage rating is the maximum allowable voltage for the capacitor. The 440s have more insulation than the 370s.

So, if you were to install a 370 into an actual 440V system, then the cap wouldn't last very long at all. Probably blow first few attempts, I haven't tried it so I don't know exactly how long it would last. And I don't plan on trying it either.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Breakdown Voltage

Breakdown voltage
    When using a capacitor, you must pay attention to the maximum voltage which can be used. This is the "breakdown voltage." The breakdown voltage depends on the kind of capacitor being used. You must be especially careful with electrolytic capacitors because the breakdown voltage is comparatively low. The breakdown voltage of electrolytic capacitors is displayed as Working Voltage.
    The breakdown voltage is the voltage that when exceeded will cause the dielectric (insulator) inside the capacitor to break down and conduct. When this happens, the failure can be catastrophic.

Quote Originally Posted by onisius View Post
    robo for President!!

Thanks guys for your help, i will replace it for sure if i am around that area and if I'm not for sure in a week or two. How many post those this make? lol
    That would be 5. To make 15 you will need to remove at least one shoe.

Why not RoBo for president? It's only four years.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    The voltage rating is the maximum allowable voltage for the capacitor. The 440s have more insulation than the 370s.

So, if you were to install a 370 into an actual 440V system, then the cap wouldn't last very long at all. Probably blow first few attempts, I haven't tried it so I don't know exactly how long it would last. And I don't plan on trying it either.
    I have tried it a couple of times never had any problem. One customer I know has gone at least three years still running fine. He was aware of the different value but was unwilling to pay for another trip to change. The other one took a lightning strike about 6 months later but was working fine until then. And I knew it was a strike because it took out the compressor,fan motor, defrost board,t-stat,transformer and his well pump.

Quote Originally Posted by itsamine View Post
    Who's this Robo guy
    Actually, RoBoTeq is a syndicated Internet program utilizing several outsourced foreign posters from various African nations, India, Pakistan and Russia.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Shouldn't do any harm other then not starting under certain conditions, but you do need to replace it.

When you restock your truck, only stock with 440v capacitors. You can go up on voltage, but not down. A 440v capacitor will be a little better on a compressor designed to be able to start with a 370v capacitor.
    This may not be true. It certainly used not to be true with electrolytic capacitors, as they were dependent on being operated at an optimal voltage level in order to properly maintain their dielectric film and to a insure long life. Electrolytics operated at levels significantly below their rated working voltage failed well before those operated at or near their rated working voltage.

Electrolytic capacitor technology may have progessed to a point where is does not matter as much any more, or it may not have. I haven't kept up with it. But I would make sure it was the proper thing to do before I replaced an electrolytic with one with a different working voltage.

If the manufacturer doesn't say it's OK, it's not OK.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast