Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Confused Did not have the right cap. in truck? help

I went on my monthly pm service this Fri. and its out far away from any a/c supply. Well i found out one of the compressors wasn't coming on, so i checked it out and it was a bloated capacitor, checked all my other electrical for tightness everything was good, i had just recently replaced the comp, the cap, and the cool contactor. so maybe it as a bad cap or something. OK so i didn't have a 35/440 in my van but, i did have 35/370 and a start kit. i thought i give it try and it worked. i have never tried it before i always replace a bad cap with the correct capacitor. it is only temp. until i go back out there in a week or two. Has anyone tried this before? Could this cause a problem? The place is like 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere. well thanks for your help guys. oh and the charge was good.

440 volts is 440 volts. I'm not a pro but you should up your post count and apply for pro status and the pro forum can help I'm sure. Not any tech talk on the resi side.

Shouldn't do any harm other then not starting under certain conditions, but you do need to replace it.

When you restock your truck, only stock with 440v capacitors. You can go up on voltage, but not down. A 440v capacitor will be a little better on a compressor designed to be able to start with a 370v capacitor.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

thanks roboteq, yeah i know about the 440 being better but the lead tech gets angry and snitches to the boss, if we don't install 370 if that's what the comp calls for. He's an ******* sometimes. well thanks man ill change it out when I'm out there again.

For me to become a pro member i have to post 15 time right? well that's what I'm trying to do.

Roboteq, As you know im still being schooled in the arts of HVAC and I believe this is what I went over last phase.

Would this cause the start windings to overheat and possibly trip overload protector?

Quote Originally Posted by onisius View Post
    thanks roboteq, yeah i know about the 440 being better but the lead tech gets angry and snitches to the boss, if we don't install 370 if that's what the comp calls for. He's an ******* sometimes. well thanks man ill change it out when I'm out there again.

For me to become a pro member i have to post 15 time right? well that's what I'm trying to do.
    Your 15 posts don't need to be anything spectacular. Hell, just ramble a little about yourself or post how you have always admired me and that is why you want to be a pro-member
    We'll be looking forward to your application. Try to include a copy of your cfc cert.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Roboteq, As you know im still being schooled in the arts of HVAC and I believe this is what I went over last phase.

Would this cause the start windings to overheat and possibly trip overload protector?
    Yep; low voltage = high amps = heat energy.

The voltage value of a run capacitor, is the internal electrical insulation value it has. Not what voltage the compressor will run at.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

it will be fine temporaly but you do ave to change it. The fact you added a start assist may help it last a little longer but if you ave 400 or so volts the cap will pop

Installing a 370v run cap in place of a 440v run cap won't have any affect on the starting of the compressor, but it will tend to not last as long.
    If the compressor actually requires a 440v cap, the 370v one may have a very short life.

Installing a 440v cap in place of a 370v one is never a bad thing, so I try to only stock 440v capacitors.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I am prety sure that the voltage that is read on the capacitor is the rated "apparent voltage"..... this is the applied vlotage from the power company along with (but not aditive) the back electro motive force generated in the field windings of the compressor at start up.... If I am wrong about this.... then please educate me.................. thanx

Quote Originally Posted by coronado2412 View Post
    I am prety sure that the voltage that is read on the capacitor is the rated "apparent voltage"..... this is the applied vlotage from the power company along with (but not aditive) the back electro motive force generated in the field windings of the compressor at start up.... If I am wrong about this.... then please educate me.................. thanx
    Yes
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

oops

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast