Air to air vs. geothermal heat pump

I realize there's lots of details to consider, but I am hoping someone can "get me in the balkpark" regarding my thinking.

Assuming one has a known tonnage requirement and was considering an air to air vs a vertical closed loop geothermal heat pump....I realize the geo will be more expensive to install in virtually all cases.

My question is, when comparing a high efficiency air to air vs the geo, is the primary cost difference the ground loop???

I realize the geo has no outdoor unit so some hardware costs are saved, and I know the ground loop is expensive, just not sure if/where the cost differences lie when comparing a high efficiency air to air vs a geo???

Thanks in advance for any ballpark responses.

I realize the geo has no outdoor unit so some hardware costs are saved,
    No upfront hardware costs saved. The compressor is moved indoors. The air heat exchanger and fan are replaced by a water heat exchanger and pump.

That leaves the cost of drilling, slurry if any, piping and heat-fused connections, haul-away of excess soil.

First off, check with your local authorities. Here we have rebate plans, which in some cases can completely offset the drilling costs. Also, if you have some property, you don't have to drill, you can actually just dig a set of trenches, drastically reducing your ground loop cost. If you can afford the upfront cost, and you plan on sticking around in your house for awhile, it will work out for you to go geo.