Thread: UV lights

Question UV lights

I am curious what other HVAC professionals think about UV lights? I have had customers tell me how less sick they are, and how happy they are with there UV light. Some have told me that there alergies have almost gone away since there UV light was installed. I am debating if I should put one in my house. I also wonder if they are effective at killing mold and yeast spores. I my self think the return is the best place to install a UV light, yet there is arguments for both supply or return installation. Let me know what you think.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The air travels too fast for UV to affect the particles in the air.

It can kill mold,etc.,on the indoor coil,best to be on the supply side,if possible.However some cheaper versions won't wrk well in the cold air,check their specs.,if they have none,keep looking.

They will actually clean an impacted coil,impressive.Best to leave them on 24/7 ,replace once a year.

Check me if I'm wrong, but any plastic exposed to a UV light would break down faster, correct?

I'm thinking of the drain pans in most systems, as well as the inner liner of flex duct, wiring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Helton View Post
    Check me if I'm wrong, but any plastic exposed to a UV light would break down faster, correct?

I'm thinking of the drain pans in most systems, as well as the inner liner of flex duct, wiring etc.
    Yes they say it's a concern.Some things can shielded with foil,or foil insulation,flex isn't exposed if it's above the coil in an air handler.

Drainpans of some brands are resistant,but not all.

uv lights

whats the deal with 24v uv lights? how do they compare withe 120v ones?

I din't even know they made 24v UV lights. My first thought is not enough power to kill much. However, I am not shure. I am still debating if I should put a 110v UV light in and wich brand to go with?

Quote Originally Posted by schlag View Post
    I din't even know they made 24v UV lights. My first thought is not enough power to kill much. However, I am not shure. I am still debating if I should put a 110v UV light in and wich brand to go with?
    Carrier/Bryant ,or Sterileair,work well check the specs in cold air after a coil.

Quote Originally Posted by schlag View Post
    I am curious what other HVAC professionals think about UV lights? I have had customers tell me how less sick they are, and how happy they are with there UV light. Some have told me that there alergies have almost gone away since there UV light was installed. I am debating if I should put one in my house. I also wonder if they are effective at killing mold and yeast spores. I my self think the return is the best place to install a UV light, yet there is arguments for both supply or return installation. Let me know what you think.
    Good IAQ requires a minimum of 50 cfm of fresh air when the people are in the home, a good filter to keep the air handling system clean, <50%RH during the spring/summer/fall, and elimination of all continuous wet spots. The rest of these ideas are minor by comparison of the above. EPA American Lung ass etc stating this in writing. Get every gadget you can right the above. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"