Thread: The proper way to install an evap. coil condensation drain

Post Likes

Confused The proper way to install an evap. coil condensation drain

Can someone post pictures and description of the "proper" way to install a drain line off of the AC coil?

do you use both connections?

Leave the overflow side plugged?

Use one of those safety switches?

Do you install a "vent leg"?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Not sure this is the place to ask - but we have a 1980'ish heat pump/air handler that needs a lower drip pan. The air handler is model: 40AQ024330DF. The problem is: the upper support for the coil is plastic...no problem; the lower tray is base metal...which has rusted through.

Our "friendly" A/C tech says the trays are no longer generally available, and one can be made for ....$. Either that, or buy a new coil/tray assembly for about $to put in the air handler ductwork.

What's the skinny on this? Is there no way to buy/have made a lower plastic drip pan for the coil in the unit?

The PITA A/C folks are gonna check with me about what I want to do. Kick them in the butt for asking $ for a $ piece of sheet metal !!

Please advise,
    Thanks,
    -=rwp=- ... Richard @ Bizmarts 8/1/08 - 10:14:13 pm
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:41 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bizmarts View Post

The PITA A/C folks are gonna check with me about what I want to do. Kick them in the butt for asking $800 for a $20 piece of sheet metal !!

Please advise,
    Thanks,
    It's called making a profit. Do you sell your product at or below cost? You can't buy a flat piece of sheet metal for twenty dollars. If you think it's so easy of a job, try doing it yourself, and don't call the PITA A/C folks back. I'm sure they'll be heart broken.

Post Likes
    Not sure this is the place to ask - but we have a 1980'ish heat pump/air handler that needs a lower drip pan. The air handler is model: 40AQ024330DF. The problem is: the upper support for the coil is plastic...no problem; the lower tray is base metal...which has rusted through.

Our "friendly" A/C tech says the trays are no longer generally available, and one can be made for ....$x. Either that, or buy a new coil/tray assembly for about $x to put in the air handler ductwork.

What's the skinny on this? Is there no way to buy/have made a lower plastic drip pan for the coil in the unit?

The PITA A/C folks are gonna check with me about what I want to do. Kick them in the butt for asking $x for a $20 piece of sheet metal !!

Please advise,
    Thanks,
    I spent many years in injection molding. That is plastics. To have a drain pan made in plastic would be around $15k in engineering costs. Probably $100K in tooling costs, plus $1000/hr to run the machine to make it. So plastic is out. On that, I wouldn't put a dime into a piece of equipment made in the 80's. Replace the darned thing. Otherwise, go to a sheet metal shop, have it made and install it yourself. To make one is far from $20, I deal with these guys on occasion and they don't make squat for $20, much less anything as complicated as a drain pan.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:41 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mister_hatch View Post
    Can someone post pictures and description of the "proper" way to install a drain line off of the AC coil?

do you use both connections?

Leave the overflow side plugged?

Use one of those safety switches?

Do you install a "vent leg"?
    It depends on the setup. There is a forum with pictures here (not the Wall of Shame) that should give you an idea of the proper way. Do you have doubts about the way your drain was installed?

Post Likes

40AQ Air Handler Drip Pan

Whoops...two replies look like I hit too close to home in my question...about getting a replacement drip pan for a 40AQ left-hand orientation coil.

I'm not begrudging anything reasonable...but $x for a metal drip pan is more than NASA would pay.

I do computer repairs, and if I tell someone it will cost $350 for a new laptop battery for a ten year old laptop, guess what the reply would be?

All I'm trying to do is to come up with a) a Carrier replacement...charge me $100-200 for it, and I'll do it. A friend who does A/C for a living says a Carrier drip pan is usually about $x...and maybe 1/2 hr to install. That is a heckova long way from $x...or b) coat the remants of the metal pan with fiberglass fabric, and cover it with Bondo. That's a DIY job that wouldn't take more than an hour of time. What's the problem with that?
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Post Likes
    You have it all figured out. So why are you asking us? A new Carrier drain pan might be whatever. But a 20 year old one isn't. Get your buddy to get one and you two can make a day out of it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I spent many years in injection molding. That is plastics. To have a drain pan made in plastic would be around $15k in engineering costs. Probably $100K in tooling costs, plus $1000/hr to run the machine to make it. So plastic is out. On that, I wouldn't put a dime into a piece of equipment made in the 80's. Replace the darned thing. Otherwise, go to a sheet metal shop, have it made and install it yourself. To make one is far from $20, I deal with these guys on occasion and they don't make squat for $20, much less anything as complicated as a drain pan.
    Yeah...and that's part of the reason China is cleaning our clock in manufacturing.

I remember being in secondary school in PA forty years ago, and making things out of sheet metal...with soldering, etc. The Carrier drip pan is NOT an engineering marvel...in fact it looks very much like the base of a window box planter...with a couple of drain plugs.

This my friend is, or rather, should not be considered rocket science.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    It's called making a profit. Do you sell your product at or below cost?
    No...I charge reasonable rates of $60/hr. I add 15-20% to the supplies cost for retail buyers. Again, the piece of formed sheet metal weighing about four pounds, that looks very much like a window flower box base for $x. My name is not: Ben Dover

[QUOTE}You can't buy a flat piece of sheet metal for twenty dollars. If you think it's so easy of a job, try doing it yourself, and don't call the PITA A/C folks back. I'm sure they'll be heart broken.[/quote]

Sure you can...at Home Depot...2'x4' - 10 gauge...want a link to the URL?

Ah, were it that easy to let the A/C guys know that asking $x for a drip pan versus $x for a new coil/drip pan assembly, after they already charged me $x for an on-site service call.. this is dumb.

As to the heart-broken part, if I were concerned about that my friend, I would have done so already just for the excitement.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Post Likes
    Whoops...two replies look like I hit too close to home in my question...about getting a replacement drip pan for a 40AQ left-hand orientation coil.

I'm not begrudging anything reasonable...but $x for a metal drip pan is more than NASA would pay.

I do computer repairs, and if I tell someone it will cost $350 for a new laptop battery for a ten year old laptop, guess what the reply would be?

All I'm trying to do is to come up with a) a Carrier replacement...charge me $100-200 for it, and I'll do it. A friend who does A/C for a living says a Carrier drip pan is usually about $x...and maybe 1/2 hr to install. That is a heckova long way from $x...or b) coat the remants of the metal pan with fiberglass fabric, and cover it with Bondo. That's a DIY job that wouldn't take more than an hour of time. What's the problem with that?
    Blan "B" is the way to go. Makes me wonder , why didn't I think of that? Get back to us with your results please. Thank You.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Post Likes

40AQ Air Handler Drip Pan

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You have it all figured out. So why are you asking us? A new Carrier drain pan might be whatever. But a 20 year old one isn't. Get your buddy to get one and you two can make a day out of it.
    Really guys...I came here for advise...I'm simply asking:

a) is there any place, or any way of obtaining a new, replacement lower drip pan for my air handler?

b) if we elect to get a new coil for the air handler, is there anything we should pay attention to.

And as an aside...just to keep this feistiness going...my "buddy" is someone I met for the first time today...so we're really not that close.

Post Likes
    only 10 ga.?????

are you sure that's gonna be strong enough?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Then it is odd you would call him your buddy.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes

Our "friendly" A/C tech says the trays are no longer generally available, and one can be made for ....$x. Either that, or buy a new coil/tray assembly for about $x to put in the air handler ductwork.

The PITA A/C folks are gonna check with me about what I want to do. Kick them in the butt for asking $x for a $20 piece of sheet metal !!

Please advise,
    Thanks,
    Quick answer to your original question "Not sure this is the place to ask" is
    NO.
    Now, quit hijacking other people's threads with your rule breaking DIY questions.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 08-02-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    only 10 ga.?????

are you sure that's gonna be strong enough?
    Usually, if you're hunting geese, bit strong on ducks...

Post Likes

Reverse Bohica

Hummm, very unusuall a "reverse strain of the BOHICA Virus " stop this thread before i become infected and custom fabricate a drain pan for an obselete unit and install it for free ! Ahhh BOHICA on me !

Post Likes
    A - No pricing discussions.

B - No DIY

C - Quit quoting the pricing posts. It's bad enough that the homers can't follow the rules.

And finally......

Thread Closed.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in