Electric vs. LP Boilers

Electric vs. LP Boilers

I need to update my current fuel oil burner. 37 years old and while it still runs great, it's so inefficient it's nuts.

Been considering replacing it with a Munchkin MC-80 LP boiler or the possibility of an electric boiler, in which case I was looking at the Argo Line but was informed they're not all that great. Told to look into the Slant Fin units, but I haven't had any luck pricing anything out.

It would be probably easier bringing in an LP line compared to bringing in a new electric line as well as upgrading to a 200a panel as well as the other wiring to supply an electric unit.

1100sq. foot house, single story, well insulated, with base boards throughout the house. Someone informed to take the baseboard footage x 580 to determine the BTU's, which would equal just under 50,000 required.

Any recommendations or thoughts? Pro's/Con's. Also need to add a hot water heater.Located in Eastern, SD no discount for all electric. Rates are at .075 right now with LP cash price right now of roughly 2.20.

Thanks....

Here's some data:

Burning LP at 0.9 efficiency (91,330 btu/gal at $2.20/gal) it will cost you $26.76 per million btu.

Using electricity at 100% efficiency (resistance - 3,412 btu/kWh at $0.075 per kWh) it will cost you $21.98 per million btu.

So - from a fuels point of view, electricity comes out ahead.

Are you sure the electricity rate is that cheap? Does that include commodity and delivery? It very well might be - but that is 1/2 of what we pay in my locality. Which might very well be how it is, sadly (gotta love NY)...

Anyhow, you'll have to get price quotes on changing your electric service to 200 Amp, etc.

You'd also need an LP tank somewhere if you went gas, which will have an aesthetic implication...

I don't know if the rate you've posted is off peek or regular rate.

Here is a link of my friend's parents boiler.

.075 is our rate 24/7. It's a small town that has it's own little contract I guess with whomever provides the electrcity and they won't give me a special off peak rate or whatnot even if I were to go all electric.

From what I've read though it's still pretty reasonable compared to other locations, as pointed out in NY.

LP tank isn't something I want in my yard as it's not very large to begin with, but from the feedback I've had so far it'd be easier to get one hooked up and ready to go, also cheaper I'm presuming?

I've contacted someone about a Thesman (sp) electric unit, trying to get ahold of a local installer to see what he says. Also I'm supposed to have two different electricians come next week to give me quotes.

All the service industries are terrible around here though anymore. They say they'll show up and nobody ever calls or seldom keeps a appointment.

Thanks for the responses, goods/bads comparring a Thesman(sp) to a Slant Fin electric units?

Quote Originally Posted by cal74 View Post
    LP tank isn't something I want in my yard as it's not very large to begin with, but from the feedback I've had so far it'd be easier to get one hooked up and ready to go, also cheaper I'm presuming?
    If you don't want to look at the eye sore LP tank, you can do underground tank. My parents has a 1,000 gallon tank in their yard.

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    If you don't want to look at the eye sore LP tank, you can do underground tank. My parents has a 1,000 gallon tank in their yard.
    True, but not cheap - you usually rent the tanks above ground, and buy the ones you bury. Plus the excavation...

Are you staying in the house for the long run? Changing over to 200 amp service isn't a huge deal, although I'm always surprised how much is charged for the job....

I don't plan on being here many more years. Have thought about renting it out though.

And I understand everyone needs to make a living, but it is crazy how much is charged for some fairly easy things.

If I go the LP route I'll trench things out myself, also hoping with some luck if I go the electric route I'm able to do the trenching to save some labor costs.

Hopefully a few of these guys I called show up next week.