Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am in the same boat as you... and similar climate in ohio as you have in PA.

I recently moved to a smaller house almost a year ago.... just to try and save money. My last house was 2066 Square feet and had some old electric air handler furnace and an electric heat pump.

I moved to this small house (1044 square feet) and the first thing I did to this house was put new windows in. This house has a Fuel Oil furnace with an AC unit outsite. Both are about 7 years old.

My 1044 Square foot house costs me about 3 times the amount my 2066 square feet house cost me to heat.

Heat pumps for the win.

So i have been getting estimates and stuff... seems like all these heating and cooling guys keep blowing smoke up my butt.

They act like I can't go on the internet and see how much a heat pump costs or something.
    They are trying to charge me Removed bucks to install Removed bucks worth of equipment. Do these guys make like 400 bucks an hour or something.
    I am a computer engineer that went to college. I must be in the wrong field.
    I also own my own web hosting business. I charge $Removed bucks and hour for what I do and some people think I am expensive.

I told the last company that if the technician that is installing my equipment can beat me in a math contest. I might be able to justify the insane amount of cost for 5 hour worth of work.

Oh by the way. Get rid of the oil furnace. New electric air handler furnaces are cheap, cheaper than the heat pump. Plus you will get better efficiency out of the heat pump with a newer matched air handler to go with it.
    (this is what I am doing)

Lucky for me I only need a 2 ton heat pump.
    A brand new 16 seer shipped to my door will cost me $Removed bucks

So I am sure everyone has said shop around. Look at the prices of the equipment they are selling you and make sure they don't try and jack the price up to some insane amount. I am sure you wouldn't pay double the price for a car or a house, so there is no reason to pay double the price for a heat pump.

Removed Pricing, please read the rules before posting again!
    Last edited by HeyBob; 08-05-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: See above

Panaman, I dont see you in the same boat as volpone1a at all. He has came to this board with a good attitude, asking well thought out questions. You have came here with a poor attitude towards hvac contractors after apparently feeling "ripped off" by the price you have been quoted on an entire system replacement. Heres a thought....you get what you pay for. It sounds like you're sold on the internet bought and self installed system. Good luck with that. Be aware there is no price discusion allowed on this board so you should edit your post.

panaman, has no idea what it cost to install a system.

He may find out about the warranty issues of units bought over the internet.

Congtractors are under no obligation to honer part warranties of equipemnet they did not sell.

Most manufacturers, give no warranty on units bought over the internet.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sorry my post came out like that. I was just posting up some of my findings.
    i'm just saying get many quotes.
    I've only had 2 quotes so far... both were way different in price.

I'm looking to get a company to install my unit. I have a 3rd quote coming on thursday.
    Also. Both places just give the manufacturers warranty. They don't warranty the labor.
    Is this a normal practice?

But in the same boat? I think I am. The fuel oil furnace is killing me. I had some crazy bills. Fuel Oil costs way to much to make electricity compared to electric. After I get my all electric system in, my next step is to figure out how to make my own electricity :-)

If you are buying the equipment from them. A 1 year labor warranty provided buy the sellling installing contractor is standard.

If you are providing the equipment, NO LABOR WARRANTY. And no part warranty usually.
    Contractor locator map

They didn't say anything about 1 year labor warranty and It's not on my quote.
    Another thing that really got me was that the salesman was telling me trane this trane that. Gave me a verbal quote. Gave me all the brochures for trane and then a week later he emailed me my actual quote and it was a goodman. (i really don't know the difference between trane and goodman but it just seems like some kind of bate and switch) Maybe that company is just shady.

Maybe, you left him under the impression that you are not willing to pay for a Trane. And he sent you quotes on a line that is in the price range you implied.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Maybe, you left him under the impression that you are not willing to pay for a Trane. And he sent you quotes on a line that is in the price range you implied.
    then why would he bother giving me all the brochures before he left.. lol
    is the trane a better unit? whats the price difference?
    Also, I had another question.. is the R410 liquid more expensive than the R22?

He may not have had any other brochures with him.

Currently, yes, R410A is more expensive then R22.

We don't do prices on this forum.
    Contractor locator map

He may not have had any other brochures with him.

Currently, yes, R410A is more expensive then R22.

We don't do prices on this forum.
    How much of a percent increase in price is the 410A compared to r22

That would fall under pricing.

What ever contractors charge in your area, is what they charge.
    Contractor locator map

That would fall under pricing.

What ever contractors charge in your area, is what they charge.
    Do you think it would be more beneficial to go with the R410 since the R22 will be phased out soon? The HVAC guy here in the datacenter where I work seems to think that.

I don't push one over the other.

But, R410A systems may have better part availability down the road.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast