Couple quick questions.

Do these type of seams in duct work need to be taped or sealed? I am trying to make sure all the duct work I have access to is fairly tight.

The returns in my house are stud bays. I noticed on this one return that the hole went through the drywall on the other side into the soffit of one of the cabinets. (I have NO idea why this was done.) Should I seal up the hole into the soffit so the return draws better? Or does it not matter since the soffit area is basically sealed? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    Do these type of seams in duct work need to be taped or sealed? I am trying to make sure all the duct work I have access to is fairly tight.]
    Mine are mastic sealed.

The returns in my house are stud bays. I noticed on this one return that the hole went through the drywall on the other side into the soffit of one of the cabinets. (I have NO idea why this was done.) Should I seal up the hole into the soffit so the return draws better? Or does it not matter since the soffit area is basically sealed? Thanks.

To me, soffit means the part of the underside of the roof that extends beyond the outer wall of the house. I don't know what the "cabinet" is.

I don't know enough about your situation, it looks like drywall on the far side of the vent, but if the far side has unconditioned air, or is exposed to unconditioned air with only some plywood or sheathing in between, I would block it off.

-HF

Maybe it's better described as a bulkhead. It's the area above my kitchen cabinets that is closed in.

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and seal those seams.

I believe it is called a fur down
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Maybe it's better described as a bulkhead. It's the area above my kitchen cabinets that is closed in.

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and seal those seams.
    Seal any thing the air flows thru.