Thread: Heil: Dual Fuel or Gas/AC? Also, filter '?'

Post Likes

Heil: Dual Fuel or Gas/AC? Also, filter '?'

I am pretty sure that we have decided on a contractor, just wanted to get some opinions on the systems we have narrowed it down to.
    We are now sure whether we should put the extra $$$ up front for dual fuel or stay with gas/AC (this is for our downstairs, we have a heatpump upstairs total house sq ft: 2250; downstairs 1100ish). Local rates are $.0894/kwh (+$7.01/month customer charge) and $1.437/therm (+$5.00/month customer charge).
    The systems we are looking at are:
    Heil VS90 Gas Furnace 75,000btu
    Heil DX1400 AC 2 ton
    or
    Heil VS90 Gas Furnace 75,000btu
    Heil DX1400 Heatpump 2 ton

Oh, we live in Charlotte, NC.

Also, do you have any rec's for a whole house media filter? We have also considered the 4" MERV 10 filter that sits where a 'normal' filter does. Any opinion on the UV light set-ups?
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    Anybody??? Please...

Post Likes
    Dual fuel will save you money on your heating bill. With your posted rates, the HP should be cheaper down to about 30 or 25°F outdoor temp.

You may like this contractor, but does he like you?
    A 75,000 BTU 90% efficient furnace for 1100 sq ft first floor? Sounds too big. Unless you regularly get winter temps of -20°F. Or have walls of glass.

Post Likes
    HEil does make a 50 kbtu VS 90 furnace.

That will be plenty of heat!!

Post Likes
    Hmm, good question! It will be replacing a 90,000btu furnace. I did ask him when he said 75k if that was still too big, but he didn't seem to think so with it being downstairs. I will question him further for sure! Any thoughts on a whole house filter? Thank you so much!

Post Likes
    1100 sq ft with living area above it in a mild climate? Even 50K is likely too big but about the smallest you can get in a 90.

Post Likes
    A whole-house media air filter is good to have for better filtration and protection of the equipment.

Post Likes
    A media air filter is a good filer for any unit. As long as the duct can handle it.

Remind your contractor that your have a conditioned space above your lower floor.

Post Likes

Heil

I'm in W-S 1500sqft up & 650 dn. (family room). built in 1962. no insulation in walls. 75K input 80% heil gas, 60K output. Unless that is a 2 stage furnace I'm with others, to big. Yes I use a HP and switch to the furnace around 40º. Have been pleased with the savings.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    You guys are great!
    The model that we have chosen is a 2-stage w/ variable speed.
    As far as a filter, what brand/model have you found to be most effective? As far as the ductwork, it is 6" rigid metal...not sure other than that.

Post Likes
    Better get the right size furnace though.
    Do fall for the" it will recover quicker " BS.

Honeywell, and Trion are the 2 I use.

Post Likes
    Sounds like I will have a busy day tomorrow... Either the guy I like will come to his senses on the btu's or I will be on the hunt for another one. There's no sense in replacing an old oversized furnace with a new oversized furnace. I'll be sure to report back. Thanks, again!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Better get the right size furnace though.
    Do fall for the" it will recover quicker " BS.

Honeywell, and Trion are the 2 I use.
    If the furnace is oversized and you have a central humidifier it won't run long enough = low humidity

Same here but sometimes Aprilaire (spaceguard) in place of trion.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in