So, who's to blame? Head Contractor or HVAC Subcontractor - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    We hired the building of our house in the summer of 1993. Ultimately should the blame for the crappy install go to the sub or the head.
    The General Contractor's job is to get the job done according to a.) contract (price/schedule), b.) code and c.) spec (architect plans + home owner choices). If he got the sub-contractor to get his job done, it passed inspection and the system heated and cooled, and you didn't complain to him within one year, then he did his job.

I too have been reamed by the pro's I trusted for several years to get my system fixed. In fact they were screwing it up more and more while telling me it was time to start thinking about getting a new one. Four years later, consumer educated, both coils cleaned and 3 extra pounds of R-22 removed, my old heat pump now works GREAT.

Legal claims are unlikely because there are many ways and reasons to argue their incompetence/malfeasance, plus a lot of time has passed. So, I will no proceed to do the most important thing I can do as a consumer- trash their name to everyone who can listen.

Anyone reading this, feel free to contact me for the name of a contractor NOT to use in Central Maryland.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    The General Contractor's job is to get the job done according to a.) contract (price/schedule), b.) code and c.) spec (architect plans + home owner choices). If he got the sub-contractor to get his job done, it passed inspection and the system heated and cooled, and you didn't complain to him within one year, then he did his job.

I too have been reamed by the pro's I trusted for several years to get my system fixed. In fact they were screwing it up more and more while telling me it was time to start thinking about getting a new one. Four years later, consumer educated, both coils cleaned and 3 extra pounds of R-22 removed, my old heat pump now works GREAT.

Legal claims are unlikely because there are many ways and reasons to argue their incompetence/malfeasance, plus a lot of time has passed. So, I will no proceed to do the most important thing I can do as a consumer- trash their name to everyone who can listen.

Anyone reading this, feel free to contact me for the name of a contractor NOT to use in Central Maryland.

-HF
    What the hell?!!! Since when is this site for disgruntled HO's to trash HVAC contractors?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    What the hell?!!! Since when is this site for disgruntled HO's to trash HVAC contractors?
    I'm thinking, since the trolls have been let loose unsupervised

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I'm thinking, since the trolls have been let loose unsupervised
    Yep, so many trolls, so few troll stompers. "My A/C doesn't work the way I thought it should, 15 YEARS AGO!! BoooHooooooo"

So much for reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Refer-Madness View Post
    Yep, so many trolls, so few troll stompers. "My A/C doesn't work the way I thought it should, 15 YEARS AGO!! BoooHooooooo"
    Guess those munchies kinda interfere with that, right?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

My unpopular opinion

Depending on the real issues,the OP could have a right to be upset.

Examples:

Undersized ducts,reduce capacity,coupled with an oversized system,in 15 years,a lot of extra money could have been spent.

Duct leakage from a poor install would add to the operating cost.

Improperly sized line set,lost capacity and equipment damage.

And the list could go on.Just because it "worked" for 15 years doesn't mean all was or is well.

There's a lot of "working" systems out there with issues,if you can find the issues and explain it well enough to the owner,there's a lot of extra work for your company.

It could also be that the way the system was installed was perfectly acceptable 15 years ago and now other companies are criticizing an acceptable system in order to make themselves appear more knowledgeable and to make a duct alteration sale.

Could be most anything after 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    It could also be that the way the system was installed was perfectly acceptable 15 years ago and now other companies are criticizing an acceptable system in order to make themselves appear more knowledgeable and to make a duct alteration sale.

Could be most anything after 15 years.
    You've hit the nail on the head. I thought the complaint was about an out of balance blower wheel, and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Well, hey, I didn't post the name on the site, and I'm not complaining 15 years later either... only 4!

Anyway, a contractor that is told that a duct cleaning just took place, and then adds 3 lbs to a system with a fouled indoor coil, needs a little trashing.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    Well, hey, I didn't post the name on the site, and I'm not complaining 15 years later either... only 4!

Anyway, a contractor that is told that a duct cleaning just took place, and then adds 3 lbs to a system with a fouled indoor coil, needs a little trashing.

-HF
    Not on here they don't. Why should all of the professionals that are on this site to help one another as well as give non-technical advice to HOs have to read the rantings of disgruntled HOs about how terrible HVAC contractors are?

Maybe you had a contractor that was not so good, maybe you didn't. Maybe you had one tech working for a decent company who did not do things exactly properly; we just don't know. All we have to go by is your say so, and since you are not an HVAC professional there is a good chance that you simply don't know what you are talking about. Even if you do, why should professionals trying to help you have to read your trash about our industry?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanx Dash

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Depending on the real issues,the OP could have a right to be upset.

Examples:

Undersized ducts,reduce capacity,coupled with an oversized system,in 15 years,a lot of extra money could have been spent.

Duct leakage from a poor install would add to the operating cost.

Improperly sized line set,lost capacity and equipment damage.

And the list could go on.Just because it "worked" for 15 years doesn't mean all was or is well.

There's a lot of "working" systems out there with issues,if you can find the issues and explain it well enough to the owner,there's a lot of extra work for your company.
    I'm glad to see there's just a few ppl here that can't do the reading comprehension thing and then get the panties in a wad over something not said.

Thing has worked but its also cost us more money than properly installed systems.

I'm glad to see there's just a few ppl here that can't do the reading comprehension thing and then get the panties in a wad over something not said.

Thing has worked but its also cost us more money than properly installed systems.
    In what way has it costed you more, how did you come to that conclusion, All I am hearing is that the duct work is not pretty.

Without some logged history on this system (and who logs residential a/c performance, anyway?) this would be a tough sell in court, or anywhere else.

You'd be better off hitting the "delete" button on this system and its history, finding a contractor you have confidence in his technical and ethical quality, and having a new system properly designed and installed.

You may have learned a few things about a/c systems spending a few weeks parked here, but it's just a drop in the bucket, no offense. I would not, with that little time invested in my knowledge and experience acquisition, feel confident to go club a contractor over the head for a system one of his subs installed fifteen years ago, based on my scant internet obtained knowledge.

Let it go, move forward with better knowledge and discernment. Life's better that way.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast